Re: [ISN] Hacker hits Duke system

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 09:22:12 PDT

Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <Mark.Bernard@private>

Dear Associates,

fyi... if the hacker picked off employee information, which is likely
better protected than the master database, than what about clinical
patient records? I don't buy the story that those systems weren't
touched. Most of these systems are network together and if anything
mainstream data used by most organizations is more readily available
than executive salary information.

As hackers get smarter you can bet that they'll target more of the
identity management systems such as Microsoft's Active Directory and
Kerberos with its known weaknesses. Lots of people use the same user
ids and passwords for both work and personal systems. So although the
hackers may get no further with Duke they might start testing online
banking systems or other such systems with their new found illegal
information assets.

Furthermore, aggregated data found on public systems such as Monster
and Workopolis may help to further refine potential targets of
economic opportunity from these illegally new found assets.

Best regards,
Mark.

Mark E. S. Bernard, CISM, CISSP, PM,
Principal, Risk Management Services,

e-mail: Mark.Bernard@private
Web: http://www.TechSecure.ca
Phone: (506) 325-0444

Leadership Quotes by Kenneth Blanchard: "The key to successful leadership
today is influence, not authority."