[ISN] Wall of Sheep - I see stupid people

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 03:06:08 PDT

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25018

By Charlie Demerjian in Las Vegas

ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS of Defcon 13 is the Wall of Sheep. This large
projection of stupid people is hard to miss if you are in the chill
out room, and it is a lot of fun.

What they do is post usernames and enough of a password for the
terminally stupid to realise that they are serious, but not enough to
give it all away. The sheer number of them at a place where people
should know better is really frightening.

The places where they log in to, companies that should know better but
don't implement the most basic security measures, is more frightening.

The WoS is projected on the wall, but the controlling laptop is more
photogenic.

Now, the last thing you want to see is your name or login up on the
WoS, it is embarrassing to say the least. If you get your picture up
on it, as a few special people did, you probably should pack up and go
home early.

We know this guy, a Cisco network engineer had a login of
Roland.Dobbins, but we are still trying to figure out who he really
is. It would be very embarrassing if it got out, but we do know what
he looks like.

Other people who were pointed out include a Harvard Law person
checking his or her mail, and someone from a big three accounting firm
logging into work in the clear. There were Apple people aplenty, and a
few people logging into their porn accounts. DOH! Now, I can
sympathise a little with smaller network operator and home users not
being 100% secure, but Cisco, Harvard and a F100 computer consulting
firm? Come on people, you should fire your network staff and get
someone marginally competent.

Still, if people displayed more common sense than a rotting piece of
roadkill, Defcon would not nearly be entertaining, as the t-shirt
says, 'I see stupid people'. Well, this time around, you may not see
them, but thanks to the good folk at the wall of sheep, you at least
know who they are. µ

Attend ToorCon
Sept 16-18th, 2005
Convention Center