[ISN] Security UPDATE -- Tweaking Wi-Fi APs for Better Security -- September 21, 2005

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 22:32:50 PDT

====================

This email newsletter comes to you free and is supported by the
following advertisers, which offer products and services in which
you might be interested. Please take a moment to visit these
advertisers' Web sites and show your support for Security UPDATE.

Download Free: Patch & Spyware Management in one easy-to-use GUI
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14281:4FB69

The Impact of Disk Defragmentation
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426C:4FB69

====================

1. In Focus: Tweaking Wi-Fi APs for Better Security

2. Security News and Features
   - Recent Security Vulnerabilities
   - Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 Re-released
   - Critical Bug in Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape Browser
   - Take a Closer Look at EFS

3. Instant Poll

4. Security Toolkit
   - Security Matters Blog

5. New and Improved
   - Management and Security Appliance

====================

==== Sponsor: Shavlik ====

Download Free: Patch & Spyware Management in one easy-to-use GUI.
   Is your network really secure? The first step to securing your
network is to remove spyware, adware, and malware. Next, patch your
systems to stop re-infestation. Introducing Shavlik NetChk Protect--
Patch & Spyware Management in one easy-to-use GUI. Shavlik NetChk
Protect is an automated solution designed for the enterprise that
boasts accurate detection/remediation and prevents spyware
installation, maximizing network security against such threats.
Remediate spyware and install patches with Shavlik NetChk Protect for a
complete security solution.
   To download free software visit:
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14281:4FB69

====================

==== 1. In Focus: Tweaking Wi-Fi APs for Better Security ====
   by Mark Joseph Edwards, News Editor, mark at ntsecurity / net

Security has become even more important due to the spread of wireless
networking. As a result, we've seen several new wireless security
companies spring to life and subsequently grow by leaps and bounds.
These companies make specialized solutions that consist of proprietary
hardware and software that guard wireless networks against a wide range
of potential intrusions.

Even if you have one or more of these specialized tools in place, you
can improve your wireless security, particularly by adjusting the
operation of your Access Points (APs). For example, you can manage AP
transmission output power and shape the pattern and direction of signal
transmission.

Although I don't know of any APs that ship from the manufacturer with
built-in configuration settings that let you adjust transmission power
levels, they might exist. If so, you could turn down the transmission
power output level to reduce the distance that the signals will
propagate. This helps limit the vicinity in which potential intruders
can operate.

If your AP doesn't include such a feature, you could possibly install
third-party firmware for your AP that does provide such support.
Several third-party firmware solutions are available for hardware based
on Broadcom chipsets, such as Cisco Systems, Linksys, Buffalo
Technology, ASUS, Motorola, Siemens, U.S. Robotics, and NETGEAR APs.

Last week I downloaded a third-party firmware package, installed it to
an AP, and configured it according to my needs in under 30 minutes.
Like most AP firmware, the third-party solution has an intuitive
interface, so I didn't need to read any detailed documentation to make
it work right.

As a result of installing the third-party firmware, I was able to
configure that AP to reduce transmission output from 20 milliwatts (mW)
to about 3 mW, which is all that I need for that particular office
space. As a result, any would-be intruders would have to be physically
in the office before they could get a usable connection to that
wireless network. The end result is stronger security for only a few
dollars.

Using third-party firmware offers other benefits. For example, the
firmware I installed supports a custom desktop client that interacts
with the AP. Using that client, I can see all the AP's connections;
view all broadcasting clients on the wireless network, including those
not connected to that AP; measure bandwidth usage; and more.

Other benefits include the ability to run Secure Shell (SSH) server
directly on the AP for remote access and administration. Doing so means
that I don't have to expose a Web interface. I could also establish a
PPTP VPN server, Quality of Service (QoS) and bandwidth management
parameters, and virtual LANs; quickly block peer-to-peer (P2P) clients;
configure IPv6; use a remote syslog server; force the use of Wi-Fi
Protected Access (WPA) and WPA2 authentication; and even configure a
way for guests to easily use the wireless network to surf the Internet
when visiting the office. Third-party firmware also offers many other
features that I don't have room to discuss here.

The bottom line is that third-party firmware is easy to install and
use, doesn't require any specialized skills or knowledge for everyday
use, is incredibly cheap to obtain and administer, and strengthens your
overall wireless security. If you do have advanced skills, you can
easily add on to third-party firmware solutions to extend the
capabilities even further. For example, you could add a mini-Web
server, a controlled access public hotspot interface, Voice over IP
(VoIP) capabilities, Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service
(RADIUS) authentication, and more.

If you're interested in more information about third-party AP firmware,
please send me a quick email message (even an anonymous message is all
right) to express your interest. Use "AP Firmware" as the subject of
your email so that I can quickly locate your message in my inbox. If
there's enough interest, I could write about how to decide which
firmware might be best for your needs, where to find it, how to quickly
and easily get it working for better security in your environment, and
how to extend its functionality even further.

====================

==== Sponsor: Diskeeper ====

The Impact of Disk Defragmentation
   Nearly every IT professional has a fragmentation horror story--in
which fragmentation severely degraded performance such that systems
were unusable. In this free white paper, learn what impact
fragmentation has on users and system activities and discover how
quickly fragmentation accumulates as a result of these activities. Plus
get the recommendations you need to manage the frequency of
defragmentation across your infrastructure.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426C:4FB69

====================

==== 2. Security News and Features ====

Recent Security Vulnerabilities
   If you subscribe to this newsletter, you also receive Security
Alerts, which inform you about recently discovered security
vulnerabilities. You can also find information about these
discoveries at
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14274:4FB69

Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 Re-released
   Microsoft didn't release any security bulletins this month as part
of its regular release schedule. Microsoft had previously indicated
that it would release one security bulletin, but the company discovered
problems in the patch and decided not to release it until it meets
quality control standards. However, the company did re-release Update
Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) to address numerous
problems.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14279:4FB69

Critical Bug in Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape Browsers
   Last week, Tom Ferris reported a buffer overflow vulnerability in
Mozilla Firefox Web browsers. The vulnerability exists due to faulty
processing of URLs and could lead to the execution of remote code.
Netscape and other Mozilla browsers are also affected by the problem
because they share the same code base as Firefox.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1427D:4FB69

Take a Closer Look at EFS
   Contrary to popular opinion, Microsoft's Encryption File System
(EFS) is a reliable, easy-to-use, and secure encryption solution, and
it can trump even the network administrator's rights. EFS is great for
protecting confidential files on the network and on often-stolen laptop
computers. In this article, Roger Grimes discusses the basics of EFS,
talks about its purpose and functionality, and discusses basic
administrative tasks and pitfalls.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1427C:4FB69

====================

==== Resources and Events ====

Cut Your Windows XP Migration Time by 60% or More!
   If your organization is considering--or has already begun migrating
your operating system to Windows XP, then this Web seminar is for you.
Sign up for this free event and you'll learn how to efficiently migrate
your applications into the Windows Installer (MSI) format, to prepare
them for error-free deployment, what steps you need to follow to
package your applications quickly and correctly, and more!
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14273:4FB69

Discover SQL Server 2005 for the Enterprise. Are you prepared?
   In this free half-day event, you'll learn how the top new features
of SQL Server 2005 will help you create and manage large-scale,
mission-critical enterprise database applications--making your job
easier. Find out how to leverage SQL Server 2005's new capabilities to
best support your business initiatives. Register today!
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14272:4FB69

Get Ready for the SQL Server 2005 Roadshow in Europe
   Back By Popular Demand--Get the facts about migrating to SQL Server 2005!
   SQL Server experts will present real-world information about
administration, development, and business intelligence to help you
implement a best-practices migration to SQL Server 2005 and improve
your database-computing environment. Receive a one-year membership to
PASS and a one-year subscription to SQL Server Magazine. Register now.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426F:4FB69

Are You Walking the Tightrope Between Recovery and Continuity?
   There's a big difference between the ability to quickly recover lost
or damaged data and the ability to keep your messaging operations
running normally before, during, and after an outage. In this free Web
seminar, you'll learn what the technical differences are between
recovery and continuity, when each is important, and what you can do to
make sure that you're hitting the right balance between them.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426E:4FB69

High Risk Internet Access: Are You in Control?
   Defending against Internet criminals, spyware and phishing and
addressing the points of risk that Internet-enabled applications expose
your organization to can seem like an epic battle with Medusa. So how
do you take control of these valuable resources? This free Web seminar
will give you the tools you need to help you analyze the impact
Internet-based threats have on your organization and tools to aid you
in the construction of acceptable use policies (AUPs).
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14270:4FB69

====================

==== 3. Instant Poll ====

Results of Previous Poll: Does your company use an encryption product
to protect files and folders on Windows systems?
   The voting has closed in this Windows IT Pro Security Hot Topic
nonscientific Instant Poll. Here are the results from the 12 votes.
   - 17% Yes, we use Microsoft Windows Encrypting File System (EFS).
   - 33% Yes, we use a third-party product.
   - 0% We haven't used encryption in the past, but we're considering
it now.
   - 50% No, we don't see any need to encrypt data.

New Instant Poll: Have you, your company, or someone you know been a
victim of online fraud?
   Go to the Security Hot Topic and submit your vote for
   - Yes
   - No
   - Not sure
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1427E:4FB69

====================

==== Featured White Paper ====

Software Packaging Workflow Best Practices
   Managing desktop software configurations doesn't have to be a manual
process, resulting in unplanned costs, deployment delays, and client
confusion. In this free white paper, you'll learn how to manage the
software package preparation process and increase your desktop
reliability, user satisfaction, and IT cost effectiveness. Download
your copy now and discover the value of standardizing the software
packaging process.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426D:4FB69

====================

==== Hot Release ====

Consolidate Your SQL Server Infrastructure
   Shared data clustering is the breakthrough consolidation solution
for Microsoft Windows servers. Find out how you can reduce the overall
Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for SQL Server cluster deployments by as
much as 60 percent over three years! Download your free copy now.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426B:4FB69

====================

==== 4. Security Toolkit ====

Security Matters Blog: Your Inbox Is Open to the World
   by Mark Joseph Edwards, http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14280:4FB69

Heard of Mailinator? Get a mailbox at this throw-away service and
anybody can read your inbox. But that's OK. A Mailinator mailbox
address is just to give out to someone from whom you want to receive
one message--someone you suspect might follow up with spam. You get the
desired message, then Mailinator deletes your temporary account.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1427A:4FB69

   by John Savill, http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1427F:4FB69

Q: How can I use a script to generate a list of all IP addresses on a
machine?

Find the answer at
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1427B:4FB69

====================

==== Announcements ====
   (from Windows IT Pro and its partners)

Get All the Exchange Tips You Need
   If you haven't subscribed to Exchange & Outlook Administrator,
you're missing out on key information that will go a long way toward
preventing serious messaging problems and downtime. Order now and
discover tools and solutions you won't find anywhere else to help you
migrate, optimize, administer, back up, recover, and secure Exchange
and Outlook. Subscribe today:
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14276:4FB69

Windows IT Pro Has What IT Professionals Need
   Get Windows IT Pro and get answers. Subscribe today and get an
entire year for just $39.95--that's 44% off the cover price! You'll
also gain exclusive access to the entire Windows IT Pro article
database (over 9000 articles) and get the Top Windows Tips handbook
(over 50 helpful tips) FREE. This is a limited-time, risk-free offer,
so click here now:
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14277:4FB69

====================

==== 5. New and Improved ====
   by Renee Munshi, products@private

Management and Security Appliance
   KACE announced KBOX IT Management Suite 2.0, a server appliance for
midsized businesses that manages and monitors inventory, distribution,
patching, security, compliance, messaging, licensing, and performance
for the systems on their networks. When you add the KBOX Security
Enforcement and Audit Module, the KBOX appliance scans for and reports
on known security vulnerabilities based on the Open Vulnerability and
Assessment Language (OVAL) standard, which covers almost 1000
vulnerabilities and is sponsored by the United States Computer
Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) and the Department of Homeland
Security. KBOX also lets you deploy security policies with support for
automatic remediation, repair, and if necessary, network node isolation
(quarantine). For more information, go to
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14283:4FB69

Tell Us About a Hot Product and Get a T-Shirt!
   Have you used a product that changed your IT experience by saving
you time or easing your daily burden? Tell us about the product, and
we'll send you a T-shirt if we write about the product in a future
Windows IT Pro What's Hot column. Send your product suggestions with
information about how the product has helped you to
   whatshot@private

Editor's note: Share Your Security Discoveries and Get $100
   Share your security-related discoveries, comments, or problems and
solutions in the Windows IT Security print newsletter's Reader to
Reader column. Email your contributions (500 words or less) to
r2rwinitsec@private If we print your submission, you'll
get $100. We edit submissions for style, grammar, and length.

====================

Argent Versus MOM 2005
   Download Argent Versus Microsoft Operations Manager 2005
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=1426A:4FB69

Is Your Office Truly Fax Integrated?
   Download this free whitepaper from Faxback and find out!
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14271:4FB69

====================

This email newsletter is brought to you by Windows IT Security,
the leading publication for IT professionals securing the Windows
enterprise from external intruders and controlling access for
internal users. Subscribe today.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=14278:4FB69

View the Windows IT Pro privacy policy at
   http://www.windowsitpro.com/AboutUs/Index.cfm?action=privacy

Windows IT Pro, a division of Penton Media, Inc.
221 East 29th Street, Loveland, CO 80538
Attention: Customer Service Department

Copyright 2005, Penton Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

InfoSec News v2.0 - Coming Soon!
http://www.infosecnews.org