[ISN] CMP Buys Black Hat

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 23:14:58 PST

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=84296&WT.svl=wire1_1

NOVEMBER 15, 2005

MANHASSET, N.J. -- CMP Media, a marketing solutions company serving
the technology, healthcare and entertainment markets, announced today
that it has acquired Black Hat Inc., a producer of information
security conferences and training that includes Black Hat Briefings
and Conferences.

Jeff Moss, founder and owner, will continue to run Black Hat and will
join CMP Media as Director of Black Hat. Combining CMP's current
portfolio of Computer Security Institute (CSI), Secure Enterprise
magazine and the Security Pipeline website with Black Hat, will
position CMP Media as the strongest platform in the computer security
media market.

"Black Hat has been one of the most successful conferences in computer
security, with incredible growth over the past five years," said Chris
Keating, vice president of CMP's security media group. "Its approach
to security, focusing on attacks and countermeasures, complements
CSI's methodology of a broader approach to computer security."

Black Hat was launched in 1997 by Jeff Moss to provide advanced
education to security professionals within global corporations and
federal agencies. Moss' mission was to mix the best minds of the
computer underground with the leading security professionals. The
result was a unique conference known for providing new and exclusive
research from the top technologists in the world. Black Hat continued
to grow and now offers briefings as well as customized training and
consulting services to provide unmatched knowledge about upcoming
security trends to three continents.

"This move will enable Black Hat to take advantage of growth
opportunities we couldn't pursue as a small company, such as
international expansion, while enabling me to keep doing what I love
the most -- working with speakers and building the conference
programs," Jeff Moss added.

Black Hat and CSI will remain separate entities within CMP; both will
report to Chris Keating. Black Hat's flagship conference, Black Hat
USA, will take place in Las Vegas July 2006. Black Hat also produces
Black Hat Europe and Black Hat Asia. CMP's flagship event -- CSI's
32nd Annual Conference is currently taking place November 14-16 in
Washington, D.C. and its CSI NetSec '06 will be held June 12-14, 2006
in Scottsdale, AZ.

"Security, vulnerabilities and disasters are a daily concern for IT
professionals at organizations around the globe. The security industry
accounts for $46 billion in 2005 according to Forrester," noted CMP
Media president and CEO, Steve Weitzner. "CMP's goal is to meet the
needs of our customers and audiences. Black Hat deepens our security
audience reach and reinforces our commitment to offering the strongest
platform in the computer security media market."

Earn your Master's degree in Information Security ONLINE
www.msia.norwich.edu/csi
Study IA management practices and the latest infosec issues.
Norwich University is an NSA Center of Excellence.