[ISN] Is your firewall spying on you?

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 23:20:18 PST

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29157

By Paul Hales,
in Jerusalem

IT'S OBVIOUS, REALLY, that the best way of penetrating users' PCs to
see what they get up to online would be to become a Firewall maker.
Like, when I wanted a Firewall and was too tight to pay for one, I
turned to Checkpoint's little freebie Zone Alarm. It sits there
between you and the Internet and lets you know when someone's trying
to sneak in through your backdoor or when a program you're running
tries to connect to the Web for no apparent reason. When you're as
techie as me - not very - you just have to trust it.

Of course, Checkpoint's an Israeli company and as a foreign journalist
working in Israel you know the hyperactive security services here
would like to keep tabs on you. And you know that they do. It has been
confirmed to me by a security sources here that mobile phone
conversations I have had have been listened to - and in circumstances
which I won't reveal, the contents of a call I have been involved in
have actually been relayed back to me.

It's part of the game - like the airport interrogation, or the
surreptitious copying of your notepad while you're off having a body
search. You know what goes on but you have a job to do and just get on
with it - hoping that what you get up to in the legitimate pursuit of
your business won't upset anyone to the extent that they'll come break
your door down and cart you off somewhere.

Now, the handsomely-named Mr Cringely has revealed [1] that a
colleague of his at Infoworld noticed that Zone Alarm 6.0 was sneakily
sending off data to four different servers. Cringely says that Zone
Labs (acquired by Checkpoint in March of 2004) at first denied the
activity for a couple of months before deciding the software had a
"bug" even though, as he points out, "the instructions to contact the
servers were set out in the program's XML code."

The company says it will fix the "bug" soon. In the meantime you can
work around it by adding:
# Block access to ZoneLabs Server
127.0.0.1 zonelabs.com
to your Windows host file.

The "bug" seems to be present in the retail version of Zone Alarm, so
there's no telling what the freebie gets up to. We called Checkpoint
here in Israel to find out, but were referred to a US spokeszoner.
Trouble is they'll all be in bed there on this sunny Sunday morning. µ

[1] http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html

InfoSec News v2.0 - Coming Soon!
http://www.infosecnews.org