[ISN] Microsoft's Allchin has final mission of Vista delivery

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 22:43:25 PST

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002770700_btallchinqa30.html

By Brier Dudley
Seattle Times technology reporter
January 30, 2006

Talk about a swan song.

Retiring Windows boss Jim Allchin is putting final touches on software
that could finally help people start feeling safe and secure using a
PC, if all goes according to plan.

Allchin gave an overview last week of Windows Vista, the new version
of Microsoft's flagship software that Allchin's team is set to deliver
before he retires at the end of 2006. He said it's on track to go on
sale by the holidays.

Other highlights include a built-in search system for finding and
sorting through files on a PC; translucent graphics with a control
panel down the right side of the desktop; and a new media player and
Internet browser.

Vista is Microsoft's first new PC operating system since the company
overhauled its development process to emphasize security. Among
Vista's security features is a protected mode that, in effect, puts an
umbrella around the browser, insulating the PC from users' online
activity, Allchin said.

Microsoft also changed its practice of releasing several near-final
"beta" test versions. Instead it's issuing "community-technology
preview" or CTP versions, including one for big companies over the
next month. In an interview with The Seattle Times, Allchin also
discussed competition with Apple Computer, the future of the PC market
and his dreams for Vista. Here's an edited transcript:

Q: We've heard of big course changes during Vista's development. Is it
delayed?