[ISN] NSPW 2006 Call for Papers

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 23:09:35 PST

Forwarded from: John Mcdermott <mcdermot@private>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
----------

Call for Papers
New Security Paradigms Workshop
Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany
September 18-21, 2006
Submissions due 26 March 2006
http://www.nspw.org

NSPW is a unique workshop that is devoted to the critical examination
of new paradigms in security.  Each year, since 1995, we examine
proposals for new principles upon which information security can be
rebuilt from the ground up.  We conduct extensive, highly interactive
discussions of these proposals, from which we hope both the audience
and the authors emerge with a better understanding of the strengths
and weaknesses of what has been discussed.

In his seminal book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", Thomas
Kuhn describes the progress of science as "a series of peaceful
interludes punctuated by intellectually violent revolutions." These
revolutions, which he called "paradigm shifts", are periods during
which "one conceptual world view is replaced by another."

A paradigm shift is thus not an incremental contribution to an
established branch of science; it is an attempt to replace the
fundamental dogma of a branch of science with a different, and
completely incompatible, set of core principles.

The New Security Paradigms workshop is dedicated to the proposition
that what Kuhn called "anomalies" - signs that the prevailing paradigm
can no longer explain phenomena observed in the real world - are
already visible in the science of information security, and, indeed,
that the anomalies are so obvious and so serious that the prevailing
information security paradigm is or soon will be in crisis.  NSPW
aspires to be the philosophical and intellectual breeding ground from
which a revolution in the science of information security will emerge.

We solicit and accept papers on any topic in information security
subject to the following caveats:

1) Papers that present a significant shift in thinking about difficult
   security issues are welcome.
2) Papers that build on a recent shift are also welcome.
3) Contrarian papers that dispute or call into question accepted
   practice or policy in security are also welcome.
4) We solicit papers that are not technology-centric, including
   those that deal with public policy issues and those that deal with
   the psychology and sociology of security theory and practice.
5) We discourage papers that represent established or completed
   works as well as those that substantially overlap other submitted
   or published papers.
6) We discourage papers which extend well-established security
   models with incremental improvements.
7) We encourage a high level of scholarship on the part of
   contributors.  Authors are expected to be aware of related prior
   work in their topic area, even if it predates Google.  In the
   course of preparing an NSPW paper, it is far better to read an
   original source than to cite a text book interpretation of it.

Our program committee particularly looks for new paradigms, innovative
approaches to older problems, early thinking on new topics, and
controversial issues that might not make it into other conferences but
deserve to have their try at shaking and breaking the mold.

Participation in the workshop is limited to authors of accepted papers
and conference organizers. Each paper is typically the focus of 45 to
60 minutes of presentation and discussion. Prospective authors are
encouraged to submit ideas that might be considered risky in some
other forum, and all participants are charged with providing feedback
in a constructive manner. The resulting intensive brainstorming has
proved to be an excellent medium for furthering the development of
these ideas. The proceedings, which are published after the workshop,
have consistently benefited from the inclusion of workshop feedback.

We welcome three categories of submission:

1) Research papers. These should be of a length commensurate with the
   novelty of the paradigm and the amount of novel material that the
   reviewer must assimilate in order to evaluate it.

2) Position papers. These should be 5 - 10 pages in length and should
   espouse a well reasoned and carefully documented position on a security
   related topic that merits challenge and / or discussion.

3) Discussion topic proposals. Discussion topic proposals should
   include an in-depth description of the topic to be discussed, a
   convincing argument that the topic will lead to a lively discussion,
   and supporting materials that can aid in the evaluation of the
   proposal.  The later may include the credentials of the proposed
   discussants.  Discussion topic proposers may want to consider involving
   conference organizers or previous attendees in their proposals.

Submissions must include the following:

1) The submission in PDF format, viewable by Adobe Acrobat reader.

2) A justification for inclusion in NSPW. Specify the category of your
   submission and describe, in one page or less, why your submission
   is appropriate for the New Security Paradigms Workshop. A good
   justification will describe the new paradigm being proposed, explain
   how it departs from existing theory or practice, and identify those
   aspects of the status quo it challenges or rejects.  The justification
   is a major factor in determining acceptance.

3) An Attendance Statement specifying  how many authors wish to attend
   the workshop.   Accepted papers require the attendance  of at least
   one author for the entire duration of the workshop.  Attendance is
   limited, and we cannot guarantee space for more than one author.

No submission may have been published elsewhere nor may a similar
submission be under consideration for publication or presentation in
any other forum during the NSPW review process.

The submission deadline is Monday, 26 March 2006.
Notification of acceptance will be Monday, 28 May, 2006.

Workshop proceedings will be published by the ACM and put in the ACM
digital library.

In order to ensure that all papers receive equally strong feedback,
all attendees are expected to stay for the entire duration of the
workshop.

We expect to offer a limited amount of financial aid to those who
require it.

See http://www.nspw.org for details of the workshop policies and for
submission procedures.

InfoSec News v2.0 - Coming Soon!