[ISN] Chertoff Doubts DHS Official Hurt Security

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 22:34:59 PDT

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/06/AR2006040600293.html

The Associated Press
April 6, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said
Thursday he did not believe a department official's alleged sexual
misconduct resulted in a breach of national security, calling the case
an individual's "misstep."

"From time to time, there will be instances when misconduct occurs,"
Chertoff said, referring to the arrest Tuesday of Brian J. Doyle, the
department's fourth-ranking spokesman, on charges of sexually preying
on a detective posing as a 14-year-old girl.

Doyle, 55, allegedly provided the pseudo-victim with his
government-issued office phone and cell phone numbers, showed off his
department ID and may have used his official computer in chatting her
up.

House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King, R-N.Y., has
vowed to investigate the department's hiring procedures, saying Doyle
may have provided "potentially sensitive information over the Internet
to a complete stranger."

But Chertoff, noting that "individuals will misstep," said he doubted
the offense created a risk to national security based on the
allegations.

"We try to weed out those who pose a security risk," Chertoff said in
a briefing with reporters. "I don't know ... that background checks
with people hired will predict future behavior."

But he added: "We are always focused on tightening our security. We
will certainly cooperate with Congress."

Doyle, who lives in suburban Silver Spring, Md., has been suspended
from his job without pay and was being held without bail at a nearby
detention center as Florida seeks to extradite him.

LayerOne 2006 : Pasadena Hilton : Pasadena, CA
Infomation Security and Technology Conference
http://layerone.info