[ISN] Teenage Hacker Could Face Prison Time

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 00:04:54 PDT

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4720282,00.html

By Cheryl Chodun
May 23, 2006

A hacker crippled thousands of computers at dozens of local schools,
and police say a teenage student was responsible for it all.

18-year-old David Randall could go to prison for up to 5 years. There
is a good chance that he won't be graduating high school because he is
currently suspended.

Police say he hacked into the computer system of the Wayne/Westland
schools. He crashed the entire system, shutting down 5,000 computers
in 29 buildings, and police say he did it dozens of times between
March 6th and May 5th.

Greg Baracy, Wayne/Westland Schools superintendent, told 7 Action
News, "It's created total havoc amongst our staffs and the lack of
availability to get out of the network and do our work. Many lost
hours of manpower."

When witnesses identified David Randall as a suspect, police seized
his home computer and say they found a disk with revolutionary
websites on it that talked about hacking.

"The moral of the story is that utilize your talents in a positive
way," Baracy said

Attend the Black Hat Briefings and
Training, Las Vegas July 29 - August 3
2,500+ international security experts from 40 nations,
10 tracks, no vendor pitches.
www.blackhat.com