[ISN] Death of the Frog

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 00:41:15 PDT

====================

This email newsletter comes to you free and is supported by the
following advertisers, which offer products and services in which
you might be interested. Please take a moment to visit these
advertisers' Web sites and show your support for Security UPDATE.

SPI Dynamics
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAE:4FB69

Insight
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAB:4FB69

CrossTec
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDA7:4FB69

====================

1. In Focus: Death of the Frog

2. Security News and Features
   - Recent Security Vulnerabilities
   - Microsoft Swallows Whale Communications
   - SSL VPN Use Increasing
   - Reaping the Benefits of WPA and PEAP

3. Security Toolkit
   - Security Matters Blog
   - Security Forum Featured Thread
   - Share Your Security Tips

4. New and Improved
   - Secure PDAs and Smart Phones

====================

==== Sponsor: SPI Dynamics ====

ALERT: "How a Hacker Launches a SQL Injection Attack!"--White Paper
It's as simple as placing additional SQL commands into a Web Form input
box giving hackers complete access to all your backend systems!
Firewalls and IDS will not stop such attacks because SQL Injections are
NOT seen as intruders. Download this *FREE* white paper from SPI
Dynamics for a complete guide to protection!
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAE:4FB69

====================

==== 1. In Focus: Death of the Frog ====
   by Mark Joseph Edwards, News Editor, mark at ntsecurity / net

Two weeks ago, I wrote about Blue Security's Blue Frog service, an
incredibly effective method for fighting spam. For each spam message a
Blue Frog user receives, Blue Frog sends one opt-out request to the
sender of that spam. The end result is that the spammer receives
millions of email messages, which probably overloads their network, but
that should be an expected cost of doing spam business--people should
have a right to opt out anytime they want to.

Blue Security said that since the inception of Blue Frog, six of the
top ten spammers had stopped sending spam to Blue Frog users. However,
one spammer took serious offense and launched a Denial of Service (DoS)
attack against the company that also affected other networks. All the
affected networks recovered.

That's the good news--now here's the bad news: Last week, Blue Security
announced that it closed down its Blue Frog service. In a message
posted to its Web site, the company said that the reason it ceased
operation is that "After recovering from the attack, we determined that
once we reactivated the Blue Community, spammers would resume their
attacks. We cannot take the responsibility for an ever-escalating cyber
war through our continued operations.... We have concluded we should
not take Blue Security to the full deployment stage we originally
planned to achieve, but we are proud of what we have accomplished thus
far as a young startup company."

It's true that Blue Frog might have caused spammers to launch continued
attacks that might have serious effects on other networks, and Blue
Security did seem to be considering others when making its decision to
close down the service. But I don't see this decision as being in the
best interest of the Internet community, including Blue Security,
because the news gets worse.

After Blue Security decided to discontinue Blue Frog, the spammers
attacked again! The second DoS attack rendered Blue Security's site
inaccessible even though Blue Security made considerable technological
efforts to thwart such attacks.

This second attack was probably meant to send another message.The
message I take from it is crystal clear but probably isn't what the
attackers intended: Kowtowing to spammers isn't the solution.

While closing up shop might seem like a reasonable choice, it's
essentially the equivalent of handing your network over to a bunch of
black hat intruders who continually break in. It gives the intruders
control they don't deserve to have.

I hope Blue Security changes its mind and brings back Blue Frog. If it
doesn't, I hope that somebody else takes up where Blue Security left
off, and quickly! Fighting back as a group has proved to be incredibly
effective, and I'd hate to see momentum lost.

====================

==== Sponsor: Insight ====

Virtual machines can host any number of operating systems on a single
physical host. Learn about these features of virtualization as well as
many more in this free whitepaper.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAB:4FB69

====================

==== 2. Security News and Features ====

Recent Security Vulnerabilities
   If you subscribe to this newsletter, you also receive Security
Alerts, which inform you about recently discovered security
vulnerabilities. You can also find information about these
discoveries at
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB0:4FB69

Microsoft Swallows Whale Communications
   In a move designed to expand its security offerings, Microsoft
announced a deal to acquire Israel-based Whale Communications.
Microsoft thinks Whale's Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) VPN and application
firewall technologies will complement its Windows Server and Internet
Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server offerings.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB7:4FB69

SSL VPN Use Increasing
   A new study indicates that Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)-based VPNs are
growing in popularity and could potentially overtake IPsec VPNs as the
secure connectivity solution of choice.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB6:4FB69

Reaping the Benefits of WPA and PEAP
   If you still use Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) technology to secure
your wireless networks, be aware that it has serious flaws. The Wi-Fi
Protected Access (WPA) standard and subsequent WPA2 standard overcome
these flaws by adding stronger authentication and encryption and should
be used whenever possible in preference to WEP. Learn how to use WPA
and Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol (PEAP) in this article
by John Howie.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB9:4FB69

====================

==== Resources and Events ====

Consolidate Windows Event Log and Unix Syslog to save money and ensure
continuous compliance. Also identify 50 critical events you should be
monitoring for! Live Web Seminar: Tuesday, June 6
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAC:4FB69

Win a new iPod (for Mac or PC)
   Download a Windows IT Pro podcast on Windows IT Pro Radio by your
favorite author, editor, or industry figure. You'll automatically be
entered to win!
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDBC:4FB69

Industry expert Mike Otey explains how to design high availability
options for your SQL Server 2005 environment. He'll also cover Windows
clustering, database mirroring, and online operations. Live Event:
Wednesday, May 31, 2006; 12:00 EDT
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAA:4FB69

Learn to gather evidence of compliance across multiple systems and link
the data to regulatory and framework control objectives. On-demand Web
seminar.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDA9:4FB69

Learn all you need to know about code signing technology, including the
goals and benefits of code signing, how code signing works, and the
underlying cryptographic and security concepts and building blocks.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAF:4FB69

====================

==== Featured White Paper ====

How much are you spending on IT compliance? Streamline and automate the
compliance life cycle with this FREE white paper, and reduce your costs
today!
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDAD:4FB69

====================

==== Hot Spot ====

Try it Free: Access & Control PCs from your USB
   NetOp Remote Control provides the most complete, scalable, and
secure remote control software available. Access PCs from your desktop,
PocketPC or USB! NEW On Demand option provides tiny, temporary,
download with no user installation or firewall configuration and NO per
session charges. Free evaluation & support.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDA7:4FB69

====================

==== 3. Security Toolkit ====

Security Matters Blog: Google Affects Information Security
   by Mark Joseph Edwards, http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDBB:4FB69

Certainly you've heard of "Google hacking," which is a way of using
Google searches to locate potential vulnerabilities. But how else might
Google affect information security? Find out more in this blog article.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB5:4FB69

   by John Savill, http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDBA:4FB69

Q: How do I enable a quota using the Windows Server 2003 R2 File Server
Resource Manager (FSRM)?

Find the answer at http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB8:4FB69

Security Forum Featured Thread: Securing a Server
   A forum participant wants to know how to secure his Windows server
by using the built-in TCP/IP filtering and Windows Firewall. He also
wants to know what other steps he can take. Join the discussion at
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDA8:4FB69

Share Your Security Tips and Get $100
   Share your security-related tips, comments, or problems and
solutions in the Windows IT Security print newsletter's
Reader to Reader column. Email your contributions to
r2rwinitsec@private If we print your submission, you'll
get $100. We edit submissions for style, grammar, and length.

====================

==== Announcements ====
   (from Windows IT Pro and its partners)

May Exclusive--Get $100 off the Windows IT Security Newsletter
   For a limited time, order the Windows IT Security newsletter and
SAVE up to $100! In addition to 12 helpful issues loaded with solutions
you won't find anywhere else, you'll get FREE access to the entire
Windows IT Security online article database. Subscribe now:
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB2:4FB69

Memorial Day Special--Save 58% off Windows IT Pro
   Subscribe to Windows IT Pro today and SAVE 58%! Along with your 12
issues, you'll get FREE access to the entire Windows IT Pro online
article archive, which houses more than 9,000 helpful articles. This is
a limited-time offer, so order now:
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB1:4FB69

====================

==== 4. New and Improved ====
   by Renee Munshi, products@private

Secure PDAs and Smart Phones
   Utimaco Safeware has extended its encryption and authentication
software, SafeGuard PDA, to work with Windows Mobile 5.0 and with
Integrated Information & Communication Systems' (IICS's) certgate Smart
Card MMC (Multimedia Card). With SafeGuard PDA 4.10, PDA users can log
on to their PDAs by inserting a small smart card into their PDA and
entering a PIN. SafeGuard PDA 4.10 also automatically encrypts data on
Windows Mobile 2003-based devices at runtime. SafeGuard PDA 4.10 is
available for Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Mobile 5.0, Symbian OS, and
Palm OS, so companies that use different mobile platforms can now
implement one security solution to protect their different PDAs and
smart phones. For more information, go to
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDBD:4FB69

Tell Us About a Hot Product and Get a T-Shirt!
   Have you used a product that changed your IT experience by saving
you time or easing your daily burden? Tell us about the product, and
we'll send you a T-shirt if we write about the product in a future
Windows IT Pro What's Hot column. Send your product suggestions with
information about how the product has helped you to
   whatshot@private

====================

This email newsletter is brought to you by Windows IT Security,
the leading publication for IT professionals securing the Windows
enterprise from external intruders and controlling access for
internal users. Subscribe today.
   http://list.windowsitpro.com/t?ctl=2BDB4:4FB69

View the Windows IT Pro privacy policy at
   http://www.windowsitpro.com/AboutUs/Index.cfm?action=privacy

Windows IT Pro, a division of Penton Media, Inc.
221 East 29th Street, Loveland, CO 80538
Attention: Customer Service Department

Copyright 2006, Penton Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

Attend the Black Hat Briefings and
Training, Las Vegas July 29 - August 3
2,500+ international security experts from 40 nations,
10 tracks, no vendor pitches.
www.blackhat.com