[ISN] Wireless piggybacking lands man in trouble

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 12:39:04 PDT

http://www.katu.com/stories/87037.html

By Dan Tilkin
and KATU.com Web Staff
June 21, 2006

VANCOUVER, Wash. - Brewed Awakenings, with its pithy name, artful
drinks and wireless Internet service, has found itself unexpectedly
percolating on the forefront of high-tech law.

"He doesn't buy anything," Manager Emily Pranger says about the man
she ended up calling 911 about. "It's not right for him to come and
use it."

Pranger says 20-year-old Alexander Eric Smith of Battle Ground sat in
the parking lot in his truck for three months, spending hours at a
time piggybacking on the coffee shop's wireless Internet service for
free.

When deputies told Smith to knock it off, he came back and is now
charged with theft of services.

"It's a repetitive occurrence and it's something that is borderline
creepy," says Pranger.

As it turns out, Smith is a Level One Sex Offender, but whether he in
fact committed a crime by not buying a single tall latte before
accessing the Internet, well that remains to be seen. The sheriff's
office and prosecutors are now reviewing the case.

Eric Gardner is a paying customer at Brewed Awakenings and he agreed
to demonstrate how easy it is to pick off wireless signals.

"I can stop at a stop light and it (my laptop) may automatically log
on to somebody's Internet access and check my e-mail for me," he says.

On a random neighborhood street in Vancouver, a KATU News laptop
detected 11 networks, five of which were unsecured, meaning anyone
could log on to them for free.

The way to protect yourself is to change your wireless router settings
to only allow the computers in your home to access your airwaves.

Attend the Black Hat Briefings and
Training, Las Vegas July 29 - August 3
2,500+ international security experts from 40 nations,
10 tracks, no vendor pitches.
www.blackhat.com