[ISN] UT notifying employees of computer hacker

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 02:31:56 PDT

http://www.tfponline.com/absolutenm/templates/breaking.aspx?articleid=2542&zoneid=41

July 06, 2006

University of Tennessee system officials are notifying around 36,000
employees and other individuals affiliated with UT that a hacker has
broke into a computer that held personal information about them.

"Although we have no indication the hacker accessed or used the
personal information, we are taking the precaution of notifying
everyone whose information was on the database and urging them to take
steps to protect themselves," said Brice Bible, assistant vice
president for information technology.

"We regret that this has happened and have conducted a thorough
investigation. Every precaution is being taken to safeguard security,
including a thorough review of file storing and sharing and
strengthening security measures in the affected area," Mr. Bible said.

Officials said the hacker's activities occurred during a nine-month
period from August 2005 to May 2006.

UT has set up a toll-free hotline to help answer questions for
affected persons. That number is (866) 748-1680. The help line will be
operational Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, starting
July 7.

Persons affected by the security breach can find more information at
UT's Information Security Office Web site,
http://security.tennessee.edu.

Copyright ©2006, Chattanooga Publishing Company

Attend the Black Hat Briefings and
Training, Las Vegas July 29 - August 3
2,500+ international security experts from 40 nations,
10 tracks, no vendor pitches.
www.blackhat.com