[ISN] Same Key Could Open Multiple Trailers; 118,000 Locks Might Need Replacing

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 01:38:30 PDT

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5278434

WAFB 9 NEWS INVESTIGATION
Aug 14, 2006

Prompted by a WAFB 9 NEWS INVESTIGATION, FEMA said Monday it will
replace locks on as many as 118,000 trailers used by victims of
hurricanes who are living in trailers provided by the government
agency.

FEMA says some keys could open as many as 50 different locks.  At two
FEMA trailer parks in Baton Rouge, our investigation revealed
residents who were able to open not only their trailers, but also
trailers of other individuals parked only a few spaces away.

There are growing questions about how long FEMA has known of the
problem and whether the agency only chose to act after being presented
with the results of our investigation.

A security guard at a large FEMA trailer park in Louisiana says FEMA
has known about the problem for "several weeks" and chose to do
nothing about it. "We've been pulling people out of other people's
trailers left and right," the guard, who spoke on condition of
anonymity, told WAFB 9 NEWS.

A resident of Kenner, Louisiana, a suburb of New Orleans, says a
worker who regularly inspects his FEMA trailer warned him about the
problem several weeks ago.  That worker is an inspector who is
contracted by FEMA.  "She told me about it -- some people's keys are
fitting other people's trailers," said Kenner resident Bruce Aedler.
"She told me that a few weeks ago when she was inspecting the trailer
for me," Aedler said.

A woman who lives in a FEMA trailer park, also located in Kenner, said
the problem was not a well-kept secret.  "Everyone around here knows
about it," the woman, who asked not to be identified, said while
speaking through the door of her FEMA trailer.  "Luckily, a lot of
people who live here are in law enforcement," the woman said.

At the FEMA trailer park near Baton Rouge Metro Airport, resident
Harry Taylor said the problem greatly concerns him.  Taylor said he
would like to keep "what little bit I've got left."  "I would like to
leave this trailer and know that my stuff is safe," Taylor said.

FEMA says the problem arises from the fact that only three lock makers
are used in the manufacturing of the trailers.

The agency says it worked through the weekend to address the problem,
which appears to only affect trailers that have a pull-handle type
lock on them.  Other trailers that have the types of locks
traditionally found on residential homes, do not appear to be
affected.

The locks in question actually have two locks on them, which can be
opened by a single key.  FEMA says it will begin changing one of the
two locks on each trailer at group sites, to try to reduce the
problem.

Visit the InfoSec News store!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org