[ISN] Company Says Hilton's a Hacker...Lohan a Victim ?

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 22:29:46 PDT

http://www.tmz.com/2006/08/23/company-says-hiltons-a-hacker-lohan-a-victim/

By TMZ Staff
Aug 23rd 2006

Paris Hilton was recently terminated from her SpoofCard account for
allegedly breaking into unauthorized voice mail boxes. SpoofCard
calling cards offer the ability to change what someone sees on their
caller ID display when they receive a phone call.

SpoofCard announced today that it had terminated the accounts of more
than 50 customers, including Paris Hilton, who they claim used the
SpoofCard service to obtain unauthorized access to voice mail accounts
on a national mobile telephone network. Many of the terminated
customers and the victims whose mailboxes were accessed are well-known
celebrities, including Lindsay Lohan.

TMZ spoke with SpoofCard attorney Mark Del Bianco and he stated that
"Paris was entering unauthorized [voice] mail boxes." When asked about
Lindsay, he told us, "A number of the 50 persons [who were canceled by
Spoofcard] were making unauthorized entrances to Miss Lohan's voice
mail." A source close to the scandal also told TMZ that Nicky Hilton
and Paris' ex-boyfriend Stavros Niarchos may have been involved.

TMZ contacted Leslie Sloane Zelnick, rep for Lindsay, who would only
say "I have turned this matter over to Lindsay's lawyers."

Paris' rep Elliot Mintz told TMZ "I read the original release from
Spoofcard and I read the quote given to TMZ by Mr. Del Bianco. A close
reading of the press release and the comments do not accuse Paris of
violating Lindsay's voice mail. She has not been accused of that. I
find the statements by Spoofcard to be somewhat ambiguous and
misleading. Also, historically, I can't think of anyone in America who
has suffered more public humiliation over the invasion of her privacy
as it pertains to communications devices than Paris Hilton."

SpoofCard discovered the activity while reviewing its customer call
records for evidence of fraud and other prohibited conduct. The
company is publicly announcing its action in order to discourage this
type of activity and to alert mobile telephone networks and their
customers to the need to protect voice mail access with passwords.
SpoofCard has put software controls on its network so that customers
can no longer use its service to break into the voice mail boxes of
victims it has identified. In this case, Spoofcard told TMZ that it
will cooperate with any law enforcement inquiry into possible
violations of the Federal Stored Wire and Electronic Communications
Act involving unauthorized access to voice mail boxes.

This cyber fued between the girls started last month, when Page Six
ran an item that indicated the password to Lindsay's Blackberry had
been leaked. Her rep told Page Six people were sending "disgusting and
very mean messages that everyone thought were coming from Lindsay.
They weren't. We now have her lawyers looking into it. Some people
think Paris may have been involved because the wording of the messages
sounds very familiar."

Elliot Mintz, Hilton's rep, denied his clients involvement and said
"I'm saddened this happened to Lindsay. I lived through this with
Paris two years ago when her Sidekick was hacked into, and the loss of
privacy is unbearable. But as for any suggestion that Paris would have
anything to do with this, that is silly, untrue and unfortunate."

HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia
The largest network security event in Asia
32 internationally renowned speakers
7 tracks of hands-on technical training sessions.
Register now: http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2006kl/