RE: [ISN] Security Firm Disclaims Mac Hack Demo

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 23:12:32 PDT

Forwarded from: "jpippin" <jpippin@private>

> A responsible demonstration policy would have forbidden the
> installation of flawed drivers to make a point.

> Apple sees the clarification as vindication. "Despite SecureWorks
> being quoted saying the Mac is threatened by the exploit demonstrated
> at Black Hat, they have provided no evidence that in fact it is,"
> Apple spokesperson Lynn Fox said in a statement. "To the contrary, the
> SecureWorks demonstration used a third party USB 802.11 device "...

If anyone in newsreporting land was paying any attention, they would've
noticed that the video which Maynor and Ellch played to show the exploit
repeatedly mentions that they are using a third party driver - not the
default Mac drivers. Repeatedly mentions it. Repeatedly.

As for what the InformationWeek writer thinks is appropriate, I'd prefer
that he make comments that don't make it so glaringly obvious that he
uses a Mac and wishes to defend its virtue. The rhetoric about those
naughty, nay, irresponsible security demonstrators allowing flawed
driver use is absurd. It was an exploit demo. Exploit demos demo flawed
code.

A Mac was used. So what? Be happy that the presenters used a Mac. In
part, it means the brand is making some further traction with the
security world elite. Why is it that when the Mac is treated the same as
PC and put on an even playing field from a security standpoint that
suddenly the presenters are irresponsible monsters? Thomas should show
some lack of blatant bias in his reporting, or at least admit it.

Joel Pippin
President
Secure Network Administration, Inc.