[ISN] Introducing the Data Loss Database - Open Source

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 23:06:27 PDT

Forwarded from: lyger <lyger (at) attrition.org>

http://attrition.org/dataloss/dldos.html

Wed Aug 30 18:27:24 EDT 2006

Since July of 2005, attrition.org has been tracking data loss and data
theft incidents not just from the United States, but across the world.
Our archives go back to the year 2000, and with over 142 MILLION records
compromised in over 300 incidents across six years, we would finally
like to introduce a very basic and rudimentiary database that will
assist others in tracking these incidents.

DLDOS (Data Loss Database - Open Source) is a simple flat comma
seperated value file that can be imported into your database of choice,
whether it be MySQL, Microsoft Access, or Oracle (good luck). We provide
the date, the company that reported the breach, the type of data
impacted, the number of records impacted, third party companies
involved, and a few other sortable items that may be of interest. At
this point, attrition.org is not hosting an actual database itself, but
the raw data is free and available for use as long as attrition.org is
credited for the use of said data. Really, we're not trying to be jerks,
but if you're going to use our data in your research, be it a web site
or paper written for a commercial entity, just give us a shout out
please.

Attrition.org's main data loss page can be found here:

http://attrition.org/dataloss/

Attrition.org's Data Loss Mail List information:

http://attrition.org/security/dataloss.html

Please feel free to use this information, build on it, grow on it, and
share it. Updates to the raw data will be provided by attrition.org
weekly, if not daily. Share and share alike; distribute and learn.

HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia
The largest network security event in Asia
32 internationally renowned speakers
7 tracks of hands-on technical training sessions.
Register now: http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2006kl/