[ISN] Phishing expedition at heart of AT&T hacking

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 22:31:04 PDT

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/01/BUGVBKSUIE1.DTL

By David Lazarus
September 1, 2006

When AT&T said in a press release this week that "unauthorized persons
illegally hacked into a computer system and accessed personal data"
from thousands of DSL customers, it wasn't telling the whole story.

Internal company documents show that the security breach was only the
first step in a more elaborate scam that involved bogus e-mail being
sent to AT&T customers that attempted to trick them into revealing
additional info that could be used for widespread fraud or identity
theft.

"We haven't seen anything like this before," acknowledged Walt Sharp,
an AT&T spokesman.

The company says that individual customers were notified by e-mail --
real ones this time -- about the full scope of the scam. But myriad
news accounts written off AT&T's press release failed to show how
extensively the company's customers may have been duped.

The company said for public consumption that hackers had "accessed
personal data, including credit card information, from several
thousand customers who purchased DSL equipment through the company's
online Web store."

It said the electronic break-in occurred last weekend and that AT&T
technicians discovered the security breach "within hours." The company
said its online DSL store was immediately shut down.

It also said AT&T quickly notified major credit card companies and is
"working with law enforcement to investigate the incident and pursue
the perpetrators."

What AT&T didn't say in its press release is that the stolen info for
an unknown portion of about 19,000 customers was immediately put to
use as part of an unusually deceptive phishing scam.

Phishing is an online con job in which a message is purportedly sent
from a legitimate company -- PayPal, eBay and banks are common ruses.
The message typically requests that the recipient click on a link and
provide sensitive info as part of routine account maintenance or to
process a transaction.

In reality, the message is a hoax, intended to fool unwary Internet
users into handing over credit card numbers, Social Security numbers
and other keys to the identity-theft kingdom.

An urgent memo was sent to AT&T insiders Tuesday around the same time
the company's press release was issued. It's a good deal more
forthcoming about the incident.

The memo (a copy of which has made its way to my hands) says the
security breach occurred Saturday not within AT&T's own system but at
"an AT&T vendor that operates an order processing computer" for the
online DSL store.

"The information that was provided by customers who ordered
DSL-related equipment included name, address, e-mail address, phone
number, credit card number and credit card expiration," the memo says,
adding that the hacked data didn't include Social Security numbers or
birth dates.

But the hackers had a scheme to get this extra info. After accessing
the customer data, they incorporated it into phishing messages that
were promptly sent to AT&T's DSL customers.

The messages, ostensibly from "SBCdslstore.com," told recipients that
"we recently tried to charge your credit card for your SBCdslstore.com
order and it was rejected by the bank because it has no complete
information."

Each message included a legitimate order number culled from the AT&T
vendor's database to create an illusion of authenticity. Messages also
included the recipient's home address and the last four digits of his
or her credit card number.

"To update the credit card information details for your order, please
select this link," the message instructed, directing people to a
"spoof site" with an illegitimate sbcdslstore.org (not .com) Web
address.

Once at the official-looking spoof site, message recipients were
instructed to provide confidential data that the hackers hadn't found
in the AT&T vendor's database, including Social Security numbers and
birth dates.

"I did a double take on it," said Russ Irwin, a Silicon Valley venture
capitalist who recently purchased a wall adapter from AT&T's online
store and was one of the thousands of people who were subsequently
phished.

"I saw my order number and my credit card number, and I thought at
first it must be real," he said. "Then I saw the dot-org address and I
knew better."

Irwin, who invests in technology companies for a living, said he's
seen his share of phishing e-mail over the years.

"Somebody did a pretty good job with this one," he said. "Having all
that information gave it a lot of credibility."

AT&T's press release this week made no mention of the phishing aspect
of the scam. But the company's internal memo warns employees to be on
the lookout for phony e-mail.

"Impacted customers may receive an e-mail that appears to be from AT&T
but is actually from the unauthorized person requesting additional
personal information such as Social Security number, driver's license
number, date of birth or other credit card information," it says.

AT&T's Sharp said individual customers were warned of the phishing
threat in e-mail this week from AT&T.

"We don't know how many people received the phishing e-mails," he
said. "We indicated (to customers) that there was an apparent phishing
expedition going on that was linked to this incident and was not from
AT&T."

Sharp said the company's press release omitted this aspect of the
situation because "the focus was to let people know they need to get
ahold of their credit card companies and that we're prepared to offer
free credit monitoring."

He declined to comment on whether the security breach originated
domestically or overseas (many such hack attacks have been traced to
Eastern Europe). He also declined to comment on which law enforcement
agencies are involved.

Sharp said there are no leads in the case at this time.

-=-

David Lazarus' column appears Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
Send tips or feedback to dlazarus (at) sfchronicle.com.

HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia
The largest network security event in Asia
32 internationally renowned speakers
7 tracks of hands-on technical training sessions.
Register now: http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2006kl/