[ISN] Foul play as bug found hidden in Mourinho's favourite restaurant

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 23:10:21 PDT

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article1578731.ece

By Guy Adams

Ashley Cole's move to Chelsea has already been compared with the sort of
cloak-and-dagger defection in a James Bond spy thriller. But the plot is
about to thicken. One of Jose Mourinho's favourite restaurants - where
the England footballer's escape from Arsenal is said to have been
plotted - has hired a counter-intelligence firm to review security after
bugging equipment was discovered in its dining room.

Portal, a Portugese restaurant in the City of London, is to pay agents
from the International Corporate Protection (ICP) Group to make regular
"sweeps" of the premises to protect the privacy of its high-rolling
clients.

The move follows an incident in which kitchen staff discovered a
surveillance device in a plug fitting near to one of the restaurant's
discreet corner tables, where several members of the Chelsea team
recently dined.

"We couldn't believe it," said Portal's owner, Antonio Correia. "A
fortnight ago, I bought a radio for my staff, so they could to listen to
music in the kitchen while they were working. It produced terrible
feedback, and on one frequency we could hear what was being said near to
the serving hatch."

After searching the premises, Mr Correia found that a device in a
two-socket adaptor was responsible for broadcasting the sounds. Although
ICP did not find further bugs, the firm has now been employed on a
rolling contract.

The restaurant, which includes several private rooms, says the device
was discovered less than 24 hours after it had been planted. The
celebrity and corporate clients who tuck into its Iberian cuisine make
it a prime target for covert surveillance operations.

As well as hosting lunches and meetings for City firms, Portal is a
favourite of the Chelsea camp, and it was named by Mourinho, the team
manager, in a Time Out interview as one of his favourite London
restaurants.

Mr Correia said: "Who knows if the device was connected to them [Chelsea
players]. To me, it doesn't matter: a lot of my clients work at the
Stock Exchange, or for finance companies and lawyers. They are people
who take privacy seriously, so it is very important for me as a
businessman to protect them."

Although Portal is thought to be the first restaurant in Britain to
employ a firm of spooks, the practice is relatively commonplace on Wall
Street, where industrial espionage is treated as an everyday corporate
hazard.

In a recent high-profile case, three New York-based former employees of
Coca-Cola were charged with stealing trade secrets, after allegedly
attempting to sell the firm's secret recipes to its arch-rival Pepsi.

"To be honest, I'm surprised that we haven't been asked to look at a
restaurant in the UK before," said ICP's director Will Geddes.

"Counter-surveillance has now become so widespread that most of our work
is actually training people on how to find devices, since most companies
have taken the job in-house."

"I can't say exactly how often we will now be checking the place, as
that will compromise security. But there will be regular visits by our
staff."

Bugging is officially illegal, although few cases are ever bought to
court in the UK. The equipment found at Portal is described as a "basic
off-the-shelf device," which ran on mains electricity and, according to
staff, had not been present the previous day.

"It would have required the eavesdropper to be sitting near by, perhaps
with a receiver and recording device," added Geddes. "Who knows why it
was there. It could have been as simple as a wife checking on a husband,
but there could obviously also be a more sinister explanation for its
appearance."

HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia
The largest network security event in Asia
32 internationally renowned speakers
7 tracks of hands-on technical training sessions.
Register now: http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2006kl/