[ISN] Attack confirmed, big Websites back online

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 22:45:32 PDT

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/09/22/292743/Attack_confirmed__big_Websites_back_online.htm

Gu Jia
2006-09-22

ONE of China's biggest domain name service providers today confirmed
that a hacker attack brought down its DNS servers, Sina.com reported.
Many big Websites using its service, including ShanghaiDaily.com are now
back online and it promised to restore the connection of smaller sites
around October 7.

Computer technicians from Xinnet, China's second most important domain
name service provider, are now searching for the source of the hacker
and analyzing his techniques, Sina said.

The company confirmed the eight-hour-long heavy attack this morning in a
company statement today.

The attack, from 4pm to midnight yesterday, shutdown about 180,000
Websites, about 30 percent were registered domain name through Xinnet,
including Shanghai Daily.

"It's obviously not a simple DDos attack," said an official from the
company's customer service department.

In the statement, Xinnet apologized to its users and severely condemned
the attack.

"We will seek law help if it's necessary," it said. "We hope everything
will be fully recovered after the week-long National Day holiday." China
has a seven-day national day holiday starting from October 1.

The statement said it won't compensate its clients for this break-down,
because the company itself is a victim.

Visit the InfoSec News store!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org