[ISN] Council social engineering test exposes flaws

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 22:21:29 PDT

Forwarded from: William Knowles <wk (at) c4i.org>

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Council_social_engineering_test_exposes_flaws/0,130061744,339271857,00.htm

By  Munir Kotadia
ZDNet Australia

Kingston City Council in Victoria recently conducted a social
engineering experiment to see how its staff would react to a stranger
trying to gain access to the server room; the exercise revealed, and
helped fix, serious flaws in staff awareness.

Analyst firm Gartner defines social engineering as "the manipulation
of people, rather than machines, to successfully breach the security
systems of an enterprise or a consumer". This could mean persuading a
user to click on a link or open an attachment or, in the case of
Kingston Council's experiment, allowing a stranger into their server
room.

Speaking at a security lunch hosted by Patchlink on Tuesday, Duncan
Kelly, Kingston City Council's manager of information systems,
revealed that although the council had spent a considerable amount of
time and money improving its patching infrastructure, it wanted to
test the strength of its "human firewall".

"We hired somebody to wear a suit, walk into the building and see how
far they could get. [Employees] knew I and my network administrator
were not in the building," said Kelly.

The Council's building has swipe card access on its doors and the
server room is on the first floor so in order to get to there, the
intruder needed to win the confidence of at least a few staff members.

According to Kelly, the intruder passed the first hurdle by simply
saying he was a new member of staff on the IT helpdesk. It didn't take
too long for the intruder to find the server room.

When the intruder got to the server room, he said he was sent by
Duncan to service the Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

IT staff sitting by the server room responded with "if Duncan sent
you, no problem at all," and let the stranger into their server room.

"To get my name, anybody can ring the customer services. He could have
walked into our server room and turned everything off -- or taken an
axe to it. He wasn't hacking, he was walking. We have a very trusting
group of people," said Kelly.

The experiment exposed some very serious flaws in the Council's
security practices, caused a few red faces but ultimately, helped
increase the awareness of social engineering tactics and educated
users, Kelly said.

Kelly claims that following the test, people are now "hot to trot
about who walks into our building".

As proof, he shared an example where he got a phone call from one of
his staff who were inside the server room. The staff member said,
"Duncan, there is somebody at the door". "Who is it?" asked Duncan.
The response came back, "I don't know, but I am not going to let them
in!"

"It shows people have learned. We all make mistakes and nobody got
chastised or berated," added Kelly.

Last year, infamous hacker Kevin Mitnick, told ZDNet Australia that
there was no point spending millions of dollars on the latest hardware
and software to protect corporate networks if it was relatively simple
for the attacker to manipulate staff in order to bypass technical
defences.

"As the attacker, I am going to look for the weakest point where I can
gain access. A security program is made up of people, processes and
technology. Your company could be strong in one area, such as
technology, but its people may not be trained up to recognise where
the bad guys are going to strike. The attackers are going to look for
the easiest way in," said Mitnick.

Two years ago, Gartner described social engineering as "more of a
problem than hacking".

At the time, Rich Mogull, research director for information security
and risk at Gartner, said: "People, by nature, are unpredictable and
susceptible to manipulation and persuasion. Studies show that humans
have certain behavioural tendencies that can be exploited with careful
manipulation.

"Many of the most damaging security penetrations are, and will
continue to be, due to social engineering, not electronic hacking or
cracking," said Mogull.

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org

Visit the InfoSec News store!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org