[ISN] Physical Security, Networks To Converge And Move Offshore

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 00:05:20 PDT

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193402406

By K.C. Jones
TechWeb News
Oct 25, 2006

A few years ago, when networking technology experts and traditional
security experts got together, they could barely communicate. Now, the
two areas are converging at a rapid pace and business leaders should
plan for more changes ahead, according to several experts who spoke
Wednesday.

Both IT and physical security are likely to be driven by government
regulations and business needs and are likely to move offshore, said
panelists at InfoSecurity and the International Security Conference &
Exposition.

"Years back, when you brought physical and cyber security guys together
they weren't even speaking the same language," said CA Senior Vice
President and Chief Security Strategist Ron Moritz, one of four featured
panelists Wednesday at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City.

Senior Vice President and Chief of Security for Indymac Bank, Boulton
Fernando, agreed, saying, "one group would be talking about exits and
the other would be talking about network stuff."

Boulton said corporate decision-makers should realize that they are
likely to reap cost-saving benefits of convergence in three years, not
immediately.

Irene Lam, senior products manager of American Dynamics IP Video Edge
Solutions, said that the consolidation of security and networking
companies -- evidenced by recent Cisco acquisitions and EMC's purchase
of RSA -- is good news.

"It means our industry is growing, that they want to come and play," she
said. "It will weed out all these one-offs. It means we have to have
quality products and loyal channels."

James Henry, chairman, CEO and Founder of Henry Bros. Electronics, said
it lends credence to both industries.

"These big guys don't get into businesses for a few years and then go
off onto something else," he said.

Moritz said that the future of convergence is likely to manifest
offshore, where IT security is already headed.

"One of the things we did not see happening is the eyeballs moving
offshore, at least on the third shift," he said. "Eventually, we'll be
seeing the first and second shifts move offshore. How long is it going
to be before they start watching the doors and access privileges?"

Fernando and Moritz said that foreign workers are taking more security
precautions than Americans take.

"Lots of companies we do business with don't allow people to bring in
purses or cell phones," Fernando said. "Try that here and you won't have
any people working."

Moritz pointed out that, while Americans seek assurances that foreign
environments are secure, foreigners are sometimes skeptical about the
safety of products from beyond their borders.

He recounted a story in which he was pitching Israeli security products
to Swiss leaders and they asked, "How do we know the Mossad didn't
inject spyware into your code?" Moritz said he joked that for $25,000 it
could be removed.

"The truth is we don't know," he said.

Copyright 2006 CMP Media LLC

Visit the InfoSec News store!