[ISN] Children's Hospital computer system breached

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 22:12:52 PST

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/15864333.htm

Beacon Journal staff report
Oct. 27, 2006

Akron Children's Hospital has notified federal authorities following the
discovery of two unauthorized breaches into separate computer databases
at the hospital.

According to the hospital's web site, www.akronchildrens.org, the first
database contained personal information about hospital patients and the
parents or guardians who provide their health insurance. That personal
information included names, addresses, Social Security numbers and
patient birth dates.

The hospital said there is no evidence that any medical or financial
patient information was exposed.

The second breach involved a server containing information about
individuals who have made donations to the hospital. That breach may
have exposed personal financial information, including some unencrypted
bank account and routing numbers, the hospital said. Social Security
numbers were not included in this database.

The hospital said the two breaches occurred during the expansion of its
computer network and testing of communication between computers on the
network. At that time ``some external source hacked into our computer
system,'' the hospital said.

The hospital is advising individuals who receive a letter from the
hospital about the breach of personal information to request a free
credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.

Individuals who receive a letter regarding the breach to the donor
database are advised to closely monitor their bank account transactions.

The hospital said it has ``reviewed and enhanced our security procedures
and processes. We have engaged a second computer security company to
test and verify these security controls. We will also continue to
evaluate our security controls on a regular basis.''

Visit the InfoSec News store!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org