[ISN] Allchin backtracks on Vista virus claims

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2006 - 22:07:07 PST

By John Sherwin

FURTHER TO our earlier report regarding Jim Allchins remarks which
suggested Windows Vista may not need an antivirus system, the man
himself has moved to clarify his comments.

Writing in his bog [1] he apologised that, "what I said wasnt as clear
as it could have been."

"Its important for me," he said, "that our customers are using the
appropriate security solutions for the right situations, whether thats
security functionality integrated in the operating systems, or add-on
products."

He went on to add that he was describing a very specific situation where
a machine was locked down using the in-built features of Vista, and
added that "most users will use some form of antivirus software, and
that will be appropriate for their scenarios."

We're glad thats been cleared up then.

[1] http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/10/windows-vista-defense-in-depth.aspx