[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - December 1st 2006

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 01:30:15 PST

|  LinuxSecurity.com                               Weekly Newsletter  |
|  December 1st 2006                            Volume 7, Number 49a  |

  Editors:      Dave Wreski                     Benjamin D. Thomas
                dave@private          ben@private

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the
week. It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of
each vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for pstotext, texinfo, libsgf,
proftpd, fvwm, ImageMagick, Kile, Ingo, Mono, LHa, OpenLDAP, apach-
mode_auth_kerb, dbus, audacity, tar, rpmdrake, drakxtools, jbossas,
phpMyAdmin, Dovecot, KOffice, GnuPG.  The distributors include
Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva, SuSE, and Ubuntu.

---

Earn an NSA recognized IA Masters Online

The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you
can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home
life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/linsec/

---

* EnGarde Secure Linux v3.0.10 Now Available

Guardian Digital is pleased to announce the release of
EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.10 (Version 3.0, Release 10). This
release includes  our new SELinux Control Console and our new
context-sensitive Guardian Digital help system, along with bug fixes
and upgrades to major applications including Apache, Postfix, and
Snort.

http://www.engardelinux.org/modules/index/releases/3.0.10.cgi

---

RFID with Bio-Smart Card in Linux

In this paper, we describe the integration of fingerprint template
and RF smart card for clustered network, which is designed on Linux
platform and Open source technology to obtain biometrics security.
Combination of smart card and biometrics has achieved in two step
authentication where smart card authentication is based on a
Personal Identification Number (PIN) and the card holder is
authenticated using the biometrics template stored in the smart
card that is based on the fingerprint verification. The fingerprint
verification has to be executed on central host server for
security purposes. Protocol designed allows controlling entire
parameters of smart security controller like PIN options, Reader
delay, real-time clock, alarm option and cardholder access
conditions.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125052/171/

---

Packet Sniffing Overview

The best way to secure you against sniffing is to use encryption.
While this won't prevent a sniffer from functioning, it will ensure
that what a sniffer reads is pure junk.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/123570/49/

--------

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

* Debian: New pstotext packages fix arbitrary shell command execution
  26th, November, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125898

* Debian: New texinfo packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
  27th, November, 2006

Multiple vulnerabilities have been found in the GNU texinfo package,
a documentation system for on-line information and printed output.
CVE-2005-3011: Handling of temporary files is performed in an
insecure manner, allowing an attacker to overwrite any file writable
by the victim.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125934

* Debian: New libgsf packages fix arbitrary code execution
  30th, November, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125987

* Debian: New proftpd packages fix several vulnerabilities
  30th, November, 2006

Several remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in the proftpd
FTP daemon, which may lead to the execution of arbitrary code or
denial of service. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
identifies the following problems: CVE-2006-5815 It was discovered
that a buffer overflow in the sreplace() function may lead to denial
of service and possibly the execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125994

+---------------------------------+

* Gentoo: fvwm fvwm-menu-directory fvwm command injection
  23rd, November, 2006

A flaw in fvwm-menu-directory may permit a local attacker to execute
arbitrary commands with the privileges of another user.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125886

* Gentoo: ImageMagick PALM and DCM buffer overflows
  24th, November, 2006

ImageMagick improperly handles PALM and DCM images, potentially
resulting in the execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125895

* Gentoo: GNU gv Stack overflow
  24th, November, 2006

GNU gv improperly handles user-supplied data possibly allowing for
the execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125896

* Gentoo: Kile Incorrect backup file permission
  27th, November, 2006

Kile uses default permissions for backup files, potentially leading
to information disclosure.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125902

* Gentoo: Ingo H3 Folder name shell command injection
  27th, November, 2006

Ingo H3 is vulnerable to arbitrary shell command execution when
handling procmail rules.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125903

* Gentoo: Mono Insecure temporary file creation
  28th, November, 2006

Mono is vulnerable to linking attacks, potentially allowing a local
user to overwrite arbitrary files.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125956

* Gentoo: LHa Multiple vulnerabilities
  28th, November, 2006

LHa is affected by several vulnerabilities including the remote
execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125957

* Gentoo: OpenLDAP Denial of Service vulnerability
  28th, November, 2006

A flaw in OpenLDAP allows remote unauthenticated attackers to cause a
Denial of Service.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125958

+---------------------------------+

* Mandriva: Updated apache-mod_auth_kerb packages fixes DoS
vulnerability
  23rd, November, 2006

An off-by-one error in the der_get_oid function in mod_auth_kerb 5.0
allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via a
crafted Kerberos message that triggers a heap-based buffer overflow
in the component array.  Packages have been patched to correct this
issue.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125887

* Mandriva: Updated dbus packages fix D-Bus specification compliance
  25th, November, 2006

On Mandriva Linux 2007.0, the path for D-Bus system bus socket was
not following D-Bus specification.  This could cause some
implementation of the D-Bus specification to not detect the system
bus correctly.	This updated package ensures the location of the
system bus is exported through	BUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS, in compliance
with D-Bus specification.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125897

* Mandriva: Updated audacity packages fixes menu issues with French
locale
  28th, November, 2006

For the French locale, menu items which contained accented characters
do not show up in the Audacity sound editor. This is because the
French translation file was not in the correct character encoding.
This issue is corrected in the updated packages.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125945

* Mandriva: Updated tar packages fix vulnerability
  28th, November, 2006

GNU tar 1.16 and 1.15.1, and possibly other versions, allows
user-assisted attackers to overwrite arbitrary files via a tar file
that contains a GNUTYPE_NAMES record with a symbolic link, which is
not properly handled by the extract_archive function in extract.c and
extract_mangle function in mangle.c, a variant of CVE-2002-1216. The
updated packages have been patched to address this issue.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125963

* Mandriva: Updated rpmdrake packages address several issues
  29th, November, 2006

Several bugs were fixed in rpmdrake: - various people saw crashes due
to invalid UTF-8 strings (#26099) - edit-urpm-sources.pl didn't start
if urpmi.cfg did not exist (#27336) - MandrivaUpdate got several
fixes: o it was impossible to select an update where there was only
one group (#26135) o all updates are preselected by default (#25271)
o all security, bugfix & normal updates were not displayed in "all
updates" mode (#27268) o default is now "all updates" rather than
"security updates"

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125985

* Mandriva: Updated drakxtools packages address several issues
  29th, November, 2006

Several bugs were fixed in drakxtools/

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125986

* RedHat: Critical: jbossas security update
  27th, November, 2006

An updated jbossas package that corrects a security vulnerability is
now available for Red Hat Application Stack. This update has been
rated as having critical security impact by the Red Hat Security
Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125904

+---------------------------------+

* SuSE: phpMyAdmin (SUSE-SA:2006:071)
  24th, November, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125893

* SuSE: openldap2-client (SUSE-SA:2006:072)
  24th, November, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125894

+---------------------------------+

* Ubuntu:  tar vulnerability
  27th, November, 2006

Teemu Salmela discovered that tar still handled the deprecated
GNUTYPE_NAMES record type.  This record type could be used to create
symlinks that would be followed while unpacking a tar archive.	If a
user or an automated system were tricked into unpacking a specially
crafted tar file, arbitrary files could be overwritten with user
privileges.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125941

* Ubuntu:  ImageMagick vulnerability
  27th, November, 2006

Daniel Kobras discovered multiple buffer overflows in ImageMagick's
SGI file format decoder.  By tricking a user or an automated system
into processing a specially crafted SGI image, this could be
exploited to execute arbitrary code with the user's privileges.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125942

* Ubuntu:  Dovecot vulnerability
  28th, November, 2006

Dovecot was discovered to have an error when handling its index cache
files.	This error could be exploited by authenticated POP and IMAP
users to cause a crash of the Dovecot server, or possibly to execute
arbitrary code.  Only servers using the non-default option
"mmap_disable=yes" were vulnerable.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125961

* Ubuntu:  KOffice vulnerability
  29th, November, 2006

An integer overflow was discovered in KOffice's filtering code.  By
tricking a user into opening a specially crafted PPT file, attackers
could crash KOffice or possibly execute arbitrary code with the
user's privileges.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125973

* Ubuntu:  GnuPG vulnerability
  29th, November, 2006

A buffer overflow was discovered in GnuPG.  By tricking a user into
running gpg interactively on a specially crafted message, an attacker
could execute arbitrary code with the user's privileges.  This
vulnerability is not exposed when running gpg in batch mode.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125975