[ISN] Symantec waves red flag over 'Big Yellow'

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 02:03:48 PST

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=security&articleId=9006160

By Robert McMillan
December 15, 2006

Symantec Corp. customers who have not updated their antivirus software
are being targeted by a self-propegating worm, the company said Friday.

The worm, dubbed "Big Yellow," by security vendor eEye Digital Security
Inc. has been seen in a handful of attacks, and is not considered to be
a serious threat to most users, security vendors say.

The worm exploits a flaw in Symantec's Client Security and AntiVirus
Corporate Edition software, which was patched last May, so only
out-of-date versions of the product are at risk.

The company's Norton products are not affected by the flaw.

Symantec first noticed some scanning activity on the Internet related to
this attack, on Wednesday, said Vincent Weafer, senior director with
Symantec Security Response. "Since then it's gone to a background
level," he said. "We have had three submissions locally from our
customers."

However, according to eEye, infections are much more widespread than
Symantec's data suggests. Since Thursday morning, eEye has counted about
70,000 compromised systems, said Marc Maiffret, the company's chief
technology officer.

Maiffret could not explain the discrepancy between eEye's and Symantec's
data. "I don't know why they're saying that," he said.

The worm looks on port 2967 for unpatched clients. When it finds them,
it installs its malicious software on the user's system, Weafer said.

A separate attack, which also exploited the same flaw, surfaced in late
November, Weafer added. In that case, attackers focused on about a dozen
educational institutions.

"It occurred over a two-day period and then died down. This time around,
with this new bot worm, we're not even seeing that [level of] activity."

Though eEye put out a news release Friday warning of the worm, the
malware has not caused much concern in the security community because it
is not widespread, said Russ Cooper, a senior information security
analyst at Cybertrust Inc. "This is [eEye] drumming up year-end press,"
he said.