[ISN] Security Q&A: Avnet's 'Cookbook' for Safe Systems Integration

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 22:10:51 PST

http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,2072453,00.asp

By Anna Maria Virzi
Baseline
December 21, 2006

Over the last 10 years, electronics component distributor Avnet has
acquired more than 25 companies. Its largest deal, based on sales, came
in July 2005, when the $11.1 billion Avnet purchased the Memec Group, a
$2.3 billion semiconductor distributor, for $663 million.

Steve Phillips, Memec's chief information officer, was named CIO at
Avnet in August 2005, taking responsibility for integratingand
securingthe information systems for the merged organizations. His
predecessor, Ed Kamins, was promoted to chief operational excellence
officer at Avnet. Previously, Phillips was CIO at computer maker Gateway
and I.T. director for the European foods division of Diageo.

He spoke with Baseline executive editor Anna Maria Virzi in a Sept. 27
interview about the measures his organization has taken to keep systems
secure during times of transition.

-=-

With Avnet's ambitious acquisition strategy, how can you be sure that
systems remain secure while merging operations?

Security is job number one for I.T. leaders. It has to be done right.

I like to assess our security posture in two ways. First is internally;
you look at risks and how you can mitigate those security risks using
our internal folks. At both Avnet and Memec, we had directors of I.T.
security dedicated to protecting our information assets and our physical
I.T. assets.

We also use external parties. Some diversity is important when you look
at your security posture. So, third parties come in, audit, and validate
the security of our systems environments, our information assets.

How does that work during an acquisition?

We make a review. We understand where we stand. Then we apply common
standards across both the organizations in a very fast way.

One of the things that Avnet has learned through its many acquisitions
is that moving both fast and deliberately is important. So, for example,
we completed the integration of Memec's I.T. systems within 90 days from
the acquisition. And early in that process, the security teams at Memec
and Avnet held a discussion to validate the security of Memec's I.T.
environment. We wanted to ensure that we maintained in-place security
practices to make certain we did not expose those environments to
unnecessary risk. As Memec was absorbed into the Avnet infrastructure,
Avnet's security policies took force.

All within 90 days?

Ninety days start to finish.

How were you able to pull that off?

With a lot of hard work by a lot of good people. Avnet has what we call
the "cookbook," and the cookbook gives guidance and advice on how to
integrate companies into Avnet. It's the collective knowledge base of
our acquisition expertise.

When we have an acquisition and start the integration, we pull down that
cookbook and open it up. It's got all sorts of useful information to
help with a fast integration, such as template plans, checklists, and
processes and procedures that we execute. And then, again, at the end of
an integration project, we update it so it becomes a stronger document
every time.

How does Avnet's cookbook address security?

People are one of the most important assets and elements of an
acquisition. At Avnet, our acquisition cookbook outlines the process for
rapidly incorporating the new employees into our infrastructure and
mapping their job functions into Avnet's applications. Mass loads into
Active Directory, e-mail, HRIS [human-resources information system] and
the ERP [enterprise resource planning] systems enable large numbers of
new users to be added quickly. The Memec America operations were
converted to Avnet's infrastructure and applications only 30 days after
the acquisition was approved.

Leading up to the integration of systems, business analysts map the
incoming data to Avnet systems. A minimum of three "dry runs" are
performed to validate the data and uncover any issues with it. The
business analysts also review any errors from the dry runs and determine
if those problems are due to mapping or programming issues in the
conversion.

Another important asset associated with an acquisition is data, which
also requires careful attention to security. Backups of critical data
are maintained for safety, and physical security controls are reviewed
for data leaving the environment. The strategy for moving data between
entities is established early in the process, and secure FTP connections
are generally a good starting point. Until the network architecture of
the acquired entity is completely understood, all data connections are
treated as "untrusted," meaning that data between entities flows through
firewalls, intrusion detection sensors, antivirus and other security
controls to bring the data into the corporate environment.

During the integration, how did Memec's security director and Avnet's
security director work out the selection of a particular
technology/approach for security?

Every acquisition at Avnet is guided by a "best people, best practices"
policy in which each company's people, tools and processes are evaluated
to determine the best long-term fit for the company. Following Avnet's
acquisition of Memec, the I.T. teams from both organizations worked
together to inventory their security tools, and followed this
best-practices approach to identify and move forward with the best tools
and systems from both environments. For example, Memec was using a
third-party Web content filtering tool that blocked employee access to
Web sites considered a potential security risk. Avnet did not have such
a broad tool in place. The security directors from both Avnet and Memec
worked together to implement and deploy this tool throughout the Avnet
organization.

When you use a third party to audit and validate security, how does that
arrangement work?

We use two different firms.

Who are they?

I don't want to disclose their names. The idea behind using two firms is
driven by, again, diversity. We have some fairly routine security audits
that are automated, that happen regularly and frequently, and we take
actions on those audits' results.

One of the things about security is that the threat constantly evolves.
It's not a one-time event. You have to constantly look at your security,
constantly change your security posture to address whatever threats are
evolving. So, we have a fairly routine audit that happens regularly, and
we take actions from that.

How often are those routine audits?

Monthly.

What types of things do you audit for?

We primarily check our security from external intruders. Less frequently
we complete more hands-on audits that look at our internal security as
well as our external security. And those are pretty comprehensive.

What is an example of what is included?

It would include looking at, for example, application security.

As you mentioned, security threats evolve daily. How do you keep
up-to-date, as CIO, on what's important?

I'm helped by a really great team, and we have a dedicated I.T. security
director, Bill Smathers. He and his team work on staying very close to
what the threats are, and making sure that as collective I.T. teams we
address those threats. Even though we have a dedicated director of I.T.
security, we make it clear that security is everybody's job. He
coordinates and helps us become aware of risks, but it is everybody's
job to make sure that we protect our information assets.

Are you referring to everyone on the I.T. team, or the entire company?

In terms of I.T. security, that's the I.T. team's job.

Often, the greatest threat to a company is someone inside the building,
not an outsider. We have a fairly clear code of conduct that every
employee of Avnet reviews and signs every year. And that clarifies each
individual's responsibilities in terms of protecting Avnet's
information.

Did Memec have an information security director, and if so, what
happened to him or her?

Bill Smathers was the Avnet I.T. security director at the time Avnet
acquired Memec, a role he fills today. The security officer role at
Memec was carried out on a part-time basis by a senior I.T. director.
That director decided not to relocate from San Diego, where Memec was
based, and left Avnet after an agreed transition period, and now fills a
leadership role at a large company based in San Diego.

How often does Avnet perform the more intensive security audits?

Periodically.

Is that two or three or four times a year?

I'd rather just say periodically.

So, during a merger or acquisition, how do those reviews fit in?

As Avnet makes an acquisition, we still have a regular business to
support and we have to continue to support it. It's a competitive
marketplace, and our competition doesn't take a rest because Avnet makes
an acquisition. So, the challenge for all of the folks involved in
integrationand not just the information-technology teamsis that we have
to sustain and continue to grow our business as well as complete an
integration quickly and effectively.

Have you ever said, "Whoa, I need to slow down here," because the
timetable is not realistic?

We have some collective knowledge, as I said, through the Avnet
cookbook. We know what works and doesn't work in terms of timing. We
know that the sooner we get these [mergers] completed, the sooner we can
get on with just totally dedicating ourselves to supporting that
business. Do I ever say to myself, "Slow down"? I like the pace, and I
have a team that likes the pace as well.