[ISN] What do instructors make?

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 03:04:26 PST

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2006/article/010807chaplain.htm

[I'm sending this note from Chaplain D. R. Staton at chpln1 (at)
verizon.net because it struck a chord with me as both an information
security professional and instructor.  Enjoy!   - WK]

(Adapted and altered from an e-mail message)
(Dedicated to all of my teachers To all who instructed me in my
career... and to all who have instructed Peace Keepers... and to those
who currently instruct Peace Keepers.)

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.  One
man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with the educational process.
He argued, "What's a student going to learn from someone who decided his
best option in life was to become an Instructor?"  He reminded the other
dinner guests what they say about Teachers/Instructors: "Those who can,
do. Those who can't, teach."  To stress his point he said to another
guest; "You're an Instructor.  Be honest. What do you make?" (Of course
he meant in dollars)

The Instructor who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied,
"You want to know what I make? (Paused for a second then began...)
"Well, I make recruits work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a passing grade feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make recruits sit through 50 minutes of class time when others cannot
make them sit for 5 minutes without being entertained... You want to
know what I make?
(Pausing again, and looking at each and every person at the table.)
I make them wonder.
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them experience what they need to know.
I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to communicate and then I make them communicate.
I make them listen, see and learn.
I make them show all their efforts in problem solving.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to
know in English.
I make my training space a place where all my recruits and students
learn safety and survival as well as job application to achieve the goal
set for them.
I make my students stand at attention to say the Pledge of Allegiance to
the Flag, Because we are a vital part of and represent the United States
of America.
Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were
given the knowledge and the experience they receive... apply them well
in hard work and follow their hearts... they can succeed in life and
profession.
(Pausing one last time and then continuing.)
"Then, when people try to judge me by the dollars I make and the
position that I hold in life, I can hold my head up high and pay no
attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE... What do you make?"

[...]