[ISN] [Infowarrior] - Blog: SpamHaus - Irresponsible Net Citizens

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 23:19:00 PST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:51:17 -0500
From: Richard Forno <rforno (at) infowarrior.org>
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior (at) attrition.org>
Subject: [Infowarrior] - Blog: SpamHaus - Irresponsible Net Citizens

SpamHaus - Irresponsible Net Citizens

I think in general that spam blocking databases are a good thing. I am
as frustrated with spam as the next person. However, I think SpamHaus is
irresponsible in the service they provide for the simple reason that
they abuse their power and refuse to implement levels of granularity in
their database. For example, right now my organization the Terrorism
Research Center is being blocked by SpamHaus. We¹ve operated on the same
single static IP address for five years and we have never had a
complaint against our IP address with SpamHaus. So why are we being
blocked? Because according to SpamHaus we live in a bad Internet
neighborhood and should be blocked because another IP address in our
same subnet sent a direct mailing for Staples.  Instead of just blocking
the IP address engaging in spamming, they are blocking the whole subnet!

< - >

http://blog.devost.net/2007/01/28/spamhaus-irresponsible-net-citizens/