[ISN] Microsoft's own antivirus fails to secure Vista

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 22:24:23 PST

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39285807,00.htm

By Richard Thurston
ZDNet UK

Microsoft's own antivirus software, Live OneCare, is unable to fully
protect Vista users against viruses; and one of McAfee's antivirus
software packages also fails to protect users, according to independent
research released on Friday.

Virus Bulletin, backed by a team of Oxfordshire-based security
researchers, tested 15 antivirus software packages used by businesses
and designed specifically for Vista, Microsoft's newest operating
system, and released to businesses two months ago. The researchers
tested whether each of the antivirus products would stop a set of
viruses known to be currently circulating. In order to be awarded a
pass, the software had to detect all the viruses with no false
positives.

But out of the 15, four failed: Microsoft Live OneCare 1.5; McAfee
VirusScan Enterprise version 8.1i; G DATA AntiVirusKit 2007 v17.0.6353;
and Norman VirusControl v5.90. The other 11, including software from
Computer Associates, Fortinet, F-Secure, Kaspersky, Sophos and Symantec,
detected all the viruses.

"With the number of delays that we've seen in Vista's release, there's
no excuse for security vendors not to have got their products right by
now," said John Hawes, technical consultant at Virus Bulletin. "In these
days of hourly updates, it's always a surprise and a disappointment to
see major products missing them [viruses]. Vista cannot fend off today's
malware without help from security products. It certainly looks like
people upgrading to the new platform are going to need additional
security solutions."

Joe Telafici, vice president of operations for McAfee's Avert Labs, told
ZDNet UK that, in his opinion, Virus Bulletin had not used its latest
antivirus updates, causing the failure. He said McAfee would issue
further results with the updated software.

Microsoft pledged to improve Live OneCare. A company spokesperson told
ZDNet UK: "We are looking closely at the methodology and results of the
test to ensure that Windows Live OneCare performs better in future tests
and, most importantly, as part of our ongoing work to continually
enhance Windows Live OneCare."

On the subject of Vista, the Microsoft spokesperson added: "It's
important to remember that no software is 100 percent secure. Microsoft
is working to keep the number of security vulnerabilities that ship in
our products to a minimum, through our Security Development Lifecycle
process, and that work is paying off. The release of Windows Vista is
the first Microsoft operating system to use the Security Development
Lifecycle from start to finish and was tested more, prior to shipping,
than any previous version of Windows."

Subscribe to the InfoSec News RSS Feed
http://www.infosecnews.org/isn.rss