[ISN] New IT spending aimed partly at cybersecurity

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 22:05:08 PST

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=36081

By Aliya Sternstein
National Journal's Technology Daily
February 7, 2007

The president's proposal to increase funding for federal information
technology programs by almost 3 percent over last year's budget request
is aimed partly at fortifying cybersecurity, White House Office of
Management and Budget officials said Wednesday.

"We were very focused on cybersecurity as we went forward" with the
agenda for expanding e-government, Karen Evans, the OMB administrator of
e-government and information technology, said at a press briefing. "It's
clearly demonstrated by our actions in this past year that our plans and
our actions aren't [working] necessarily to the extent that we'd like
them to be."

Since May 2006, there have been several data breaches in the federal
government, most notably at the Veterans Affairs Department, where a
laptop computer containing the personal information of about 26.5
million veterans and active-duty military members was stolen from the
home of an agency employee.

The $65 billion IT budget proposal for fiscal 2008 would support the
Bush administration's ongoing efforts to work with agencies, inspectors
general, the Government Accountability Office and Congress in protecting
IT systems within agencies, according to OMB officials.

Evans noted that 88 percent of agencies' IT systems currently are
certified and accredited.

"The federal government continues to improve information security
performance," the budget said. "However, declines in a few agencies have
resulted in a net decrease in overall performance in some areas.
Additionally, aspects of IT security such as securing data on removable
media remain under-addressed government-wide."

OMB plans to track agencies' progress in taking corrective action with
the color-coded scorecards that have become a trademark of the
President's Management Agenda. Red means failure, yellow indicates
improvement and green signifies adequate implementation.

OMB Associate Director for Management Robert Shea said the agency just
celebrated the fifth anniversary of a program performance assessment
tool that has been instrumental in IT funding decisions.

It is the "most comprehensive assessment of program performance ever
compiled," Shea said. The grading measurements, however, are not
indicative of which programs should or should not get funding, he
stressed. "Performance information doesn't dictate the answer but should
be used for the basis of funding decisions."

The results lend the administration insight into "where programs want to
be," Evans said, adding that the details help the e-government program
articulate its business cases to Congress. "Information technology for
the sake of information technology is useless," she said.

Copyright 2007 by National Journal Group Inc. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to the InfoSec News RSS Feed
http://www.infosecnews.org/isn.rss