[ISN] Security expert: Make vendors liable for bad code

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 00:09:06 PST

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=security&articleId=9011271

By Todd R. Weiss
February 14, 2007
Computerworld

NEW YORK -- When U.S. courts ruled more than a decade ago that consumers
weren't liable for fraudulent use of their credit card numbers after the
first $50, credit card companies -- which were left holding the huge
bill -- took notice and dove into fighting fraud and losses.

That's the same approach needed now in the software industry to help
drastically improve IT security, according to Bruce Schneier, a security
expert, author and CTO of Mountain View, Calif.-based enterprise
security vendor BT Counterpane. Today's more secure credit card systems
were "built because the credit card companies were forced to assume the
liability for fraud," Schneier said today at the opening keynote of the
first LinuxWorld OpenSolutions Summit held here this week. "The trick
here is to align responsibilities with capabilities."

A major problem with IT security, he said, is that even as new software
patches and other fixes are posted, not every company or home user
installs them. Instead, many users, both at work and at home, aren't
motivated to keep up with security because vulnerabilities are often
unseen, leaving them unaware that they are risking their own operations
-- and the larger global system of networks, Schneier said.

"I think things are getting worse, not better," he said.

To change that, the ultimate economic responsibility for better software
should be moved directly to software makers, who can directly influence
the creation of more secure applications, he said. "If there is
liability, we'll pay more [for software], but at least we'll get better
software out of it and things will improve," Schneier said.

A penalty system will ultimately result in a more secure global IT
system through better-built and better-maintained products. "That's what
I want to affect, and liabilities have a way of doing that," Schneier
said.

In his talk about the economics of IT security, Schneier said today's
software development system lets software vendors sell products without
any real responsibility for it once users begin working with it. That
doesn't encourage software vendors to stay on top of security problems
that arise, he said. The situation is similar to a company that dumps
pollution into a river but doesn't worry about the problem because it's
not directly affected by the pollution downstream, he said.

Scenarios like that "are all over [the] security [world] and a lot of
security failures are due to them," Schneier said. If a third-party
company loses someone's data in a breach, then that company can have
little concern because the data loss wasn't ever suffered by a direct
customer.

Those attitudes must change, he said. "We're living in a world where our
security all depends on each other."

Every year, when Schneier visits his mother, he said, he cleans up her
home computer and strips it of worms and other security problems. For
her -- and other corporate and private users -- security is seen as
mainly important to individuals, without an awareness of the
interconnections between users. "I'm sorry to tell you, she really
doesn't care about you," he said of his mom's lax home computer security
regimen.

By modifying the cost-benefit analysis and giving greater IT security
responsibility to software companies through liability assignment,
security can eventually be improved, he said. "All I need is for the
cost of doing the bad [work] to increase. This is why I favor software
liability because it raises the costs of bad software."

Subscribe to the InfoSec News RSS Feed
http://www.infosecnews.org/isn.rss