[ISN] Camp Dodge reports "serious" security breach

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 01:24:39 PST

http://www.timesrepublican.com/News/articles.asp?articleID=7046

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 23, 2007

DES MOINES -- A serious security breach that left an armory at Camp
Dodge unlocked overnight with about 700 combat weapons inside is being
investigated, Iowa Army National Guard officials said .

None of the weapons were missing from the Johnston military base, but
investigators said that the incident is considered serious enough to be
reported to the National Guard Bureau in Arlington, Va.

?We are conducting an internal investigation about our procedures and we
are also doing a review of our alarm system,? said Brig. Gen. Mark
Zirkelbach, the Iowa National Guards deputy adjutant.

He said the Guard knows a break-in didnt occur because a soldier who was
responsible for locking the arms room vault has admitted he left the
room unsecured.

Iowa Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Gregory Hapgood Jr. said that he had never
heard of such a serious security breach happening at Camp Dodge.

?This is extraordinarily rare...This is not something that you ever want
to have happen a second time,? Hapgood said.

Zirkelbach said some of the weapons in the unlocked building had been
used by an Iowa unit that had just returned home from a deployment.

Copyright 2007 - The Times-Republican

Subscribe to the InfoSec News RSS Feed
http://www.infosecnews.org/isn.rss