[ISN] Intel 'hacker' sentence expunged

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2007 - 22:12:12 PST

http://news.com.com/Intel+hacker+sentence+expunged/2100-7350_3-6164113.html

By Tom Espiner
Special to CNET News.com
March 3, 2007

A former Intel contractor has seen his conviction for hacking into the
company's systems expunged, after a battle lasting more than a decade.

Randall Schwartz had his arrest and conviction for bypassing Intel
security systems "set aside" at the beginning of February, legally
giving him a clean slate.

Schwartz was arrested in 1993 after using a program called "Crack" to
find out the passwords of various former colleagues in the Intel
Supercomputer Systems Division (SSD). Schwartz had left SSD under a
cloud, and told the court he decided to crack the Intel passwords to
show that SSD's security had gone downhill since he had left, and to
reestablish respect he said he had lost when he left SSD.

In late 1995, Schwartz was convicted of three counts of computer crime
and ordered to pay Intel $68,000 restitution. His sentence also included
five years of probation, 480 hours of community service and 90 days of
deferred (cancelable) jail time. His legal bill exceeded $170,000 by the
end of 1995.

Schwartz has argued that his conviction was unfair, as he had not
intended to cause any malicious damage. After an appeal, the restitution
was dropped in 1999.

In October 2006, Schwartz appealed for clemency from a Democratic
governor who "had already granted a few pardons," Schwartz explained on
the Yahoo Tech Groups site. At the beginning of February 2007, an Oregon
court ordered an expungement of his conviction.

Schwartz said that it will take a while for him to absorb the result.

"Even a few weeks later, I'm still in a bit of shock that I've reached
this point in this over-13-year journey," Schwartz said. "It probably
won't fully sink in until the first time I travel freely into Canada, or
fill out a contractor form that asks the question about criminal
history, or apply for a Small Business Administration program that was
formerly unavailable to me."

Tom Espiner reported from London for ZDNet UK.

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org