[ISN] Lock expert shows how to defeat a secure lock at HITBSecConf2007 Dubai

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 22:32:32 PST

http://www.ameinfo.com/112421.html

By Lara Lynn Golden
News Editor
March 04, 2007

Mechanical Lock Expert, Marc Weber Tobias will be in Dubai next month
presenting a paper at the UAE's first deep-knowledge network security
conference; HITBSecConf2007 - Dubai.

Marc has been one of the primary spokesmen in the United States
regarding methods of bypass of mechanical locks and has appeared in
hundreds of publications and media interviews discussing this topic. He
was Assistant Attorney General and Chief of the Organized Crime Unit in
South Dakota and also conducted internal investigations for the Office
of Governor between 1974 and 2002.

Marc has written five police textbooks and has lectured extensively on
security, criminal investigations and interrogation techniques. He has
also been one of the leading advocates for truth in advertising by lock
manufacturers and thinks that there should be clear warnings so that the
consumer understands the risks from certain forms of attack and the lack
of protection that many locks offer. His paper at HITBSecConf2007 -
Dubai is titled 'Opened in Ten Seconds: The Insecurity of Mechanical
Locks' and discusses the compromise of mechanical pin tumbler locks and
how their weaknesses can affect the security of almost every physical
facility.

'Lock manufacturers have not been advising their customers of the
inherent risks that present serious security issues that can threaten
the safety and security of every person that relies on their locks. Many
mechanical pin tumbler locks are inherently insecure and can be opened
in seconds with little skill, training or tools. Anyone that has the
responsibility for physical security must understand the primary methods
to covertly attack mechanical cylinders and what constitutes a true high
security lock. It is also critically important for IT professionals to
understand physical security issues because locks protect their entire
infrastructure.'

Tobias 'Some high security lock manufacturers' claim that their products
are immune to bumping and other forms of covert entry techniques. 'They
either do not know the vulnerabilities of their products or are
misrepresenting the capability to compromise their cylinders.' Tobias
acknowledges that even some cylinders that carry high security ratings
by standards organizations may not be as secure as their buyers might
believe.

'This will be the first time that we're having a physical-security
presentation at our conference and we're happy to have one of the
world's leading experts in this field speaking at our event', said
Dhillon Andrew Kannabhiran, Founder and Chief Executive Officer for Hack
in The Box.

'We hope that members from the police and law enforcement not only in
Dubai but in and around the GCC will take this opportunity to come and
meet with Marc and learn more about these real world security issues
first hand', said Kannabhiran.

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org