[ISN] STRATCOM wants to take cyberwar to enemy

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 00:02:50 PST

http://www.upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/stratcom_wants_to_take_cyberwar_to_enemy/20070321-030233-2288r

3/21/2007

WASHINGTON, March 21 (UPI) -- The head of U.S. Strategic Command said
Wednesday the United States is under daily attack in cyberspace and he
wants to take a more offensive stance.

"Our freedom to use cyberspace is threatened by the actions of
criminals, terrorists, and nations alike," said Marine Gen. "Hoss"
Cartwright in written testimony to the House armed Services Committee.
"The magnitude of cost in terms of real dollars dedicated to defensive
measures, lost intellectual capital and fraud cannot be overestimated,
making these attacks a matter of great national interest. Unlike the
air, land and sea domains, we lack dominance in cyberspace and could
grow increasingly vulnerable if we do not fundamentally change how we
view this battlespace."

Cartwright said U.S. Strategic Command, which takes the military lead in
cyberspace, has focused mostly on networked defense -- firewalls,
anti-virus protections, and vulnerability scanning.

"These measures are marginally effective against sophisticated
adversaries. History teaches us that a purely defensive posture poses
significant risks," Cartwright said. "If we apply the principle of
warfare to the cybe domain ... we realize the defense of the nation is
better served by capabilities enabling us to take the fight to our
adversaries when necessary to deter actions detrimental to our
interests."

He said STRATCOM will seek Congress' help in "penetrating" the
adversary's "technical, legal and international screens" and taking an
offensive rather than a purely defensive tack against cyber-enemies.

Copyright 2007 United Press International, Inc.

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org