[ISN] Six-year-old installs keylogger on MP's computer

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 22:55:47 PST

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/108769/sixyearold-installs-keylogger-on-mps-computer.html

By Simon Aughton
26th March 2007

A six-year-old girl has successfully hacked into the UK Parliament's
computer system, installing a keylogger onto an MPs machine.

Guildford MP Anne Milton agreed to leave her computer unattended for 60
seconds as part of a test of House of Commons IT security by the BBC's
Inside Out programme.

Brianagh, a schoolgirl from Winchester, took just a quarter of that time
to install the keylogging software without being noticed. Such easily
available applications record all the keystrokes made on a machine and
can therefore be used to steal passwords, financial data and personal
information.

Everything that Milton would have typed for the next six months would
have been secretly recorded and it would only have taken a few seconds
to retrieve the software and all the confidential information it had
gathered, including the password for the whole computer.

'It really surprises me,' Milton told Inside Out. 'It's the speed, the
size of the device and the ease with which it was attached to my
computer.'

The House of Commons administration declined to comment.

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org