[ISN] WEIS 2007 Call for participation

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 01:32:50 PDT

Forwarded from: Alessandro Acquisti <acquisti (at) andrew.cmu.edu>

   The Sixth Workshop on the Economics of Information Security
                            (WEIS 2007)

                    The Heinz School and CyLab
                    Carnegie Mellon University
                       Pittsburgh (PA), USA
                          June 7-8, 2007

                 http://weis2007.econinfosec.org/

            C A L L   F O R   P A R T I C I P A T I O N

How much should we spend on security? What incentives really drive
privacy  decisions?  What  are  the  trade-offs  that individuals,
firms,  and  governments face when allocating resources to protect
data  assets?  Are  there  good ways to distribute risks and align
goals when securing information systems?

The  2007  Workshop  on the Economics of Information Security will
discuss   original  research  papers  on  topics  related  to  the
economics   of   information   security   and   the  economics  of
privacy.

The program is now available online:

           http://weis2007.econinfosec.org/program.htm

Accepted  papers will be posted on the WEIS site after May 7th and
will  be  included  in  the  informal pre-proceedings that will be
distributed  during  the  Workshop.    All interested parties from
academia and the public and private sectors are invited to attend.

We  would  like  to  draw  your  attention to the following items:

(i)   The   deadline   for   early   registration   is   May  7th:
http://weis2007.econinfosec.org/registration.htm.

(ii) The discounted rates for the hotels expire on May 6th for the
Wyndham  Garden  Hotel and on May 16th for the Holiday Inn Select:
http://weis2007.econinfosec.org/travel.htm.

(iii)  Some  financial  assistance  is still available to students
participating   in   the   workshop.  Details  are  available  at:
http://weis2007.econinfosec.org/scholarships.htm

(iv)  In  addition to the accepted papers presentations, WEIS 2007
will include:

- A Keynote speech by Dr. George Loewenstein, Herbert A. Simon
Professor of Economics and Psychology at Carnegie Mellon
University.

- A tutorial on building economic models for information security.

- A Welcome reception for all registered participants on
Wednesday, June 6, 6-8pm.

- A Banquet dinner for all registered participants on Thursday,
June 7, 6-9pm, at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens,
with free entry to the Dale Chihuly exhibition and music by the
Chris Hemingway Trio.

We look forward to seeing you in Pittsburgh!

On behalf of the WEIS 2007 PC,

-Alessandro Acquisti and Rahul Telang

***************

For more information please email: weis-07@private or visit
http://weis2007.econinfosec.org/.

**Hosts and sponsors**

WEIS  2007  is hosted by the Heinz School and by CyLab at Carnegie
Mellon  University.  WEIS  2007  is supported by the Heinz School,
CyLab, the Institute for Information Infrastructure Protection
(I3P), and Microsoft.

**Program committee**

Chairs
Alessandro Acquisti (Carnegie Mellon University)
Rahul Telang (Carnegie Mellon University)

Committee
Ross Anderson (Cambridge University)
Jean Camp (Indiana University)
Huseyin Cavusoglu (UT Dallas)
Neil Gandal (Tel Aviv University)
Anindya Ghose (New York University)
Larry Gordon (University of Maryland)
Jens Grossklags (UC Berkeley)
Eric Johnson (Dartmouth College)
Marty Loeb (University of Maryland)
Tyler Moore (Cambridge University)
Andrew Odlyzko (University of Minnesota)
Ivan Png (National University of Singapore)
Stuart Schechter (MIT Lincoln Laboratory)
Bruce Schneier (BT Counterpane)
Peter Swire (Ohio State University)
Curtis Taylor (Duke University)
Hal Varian (UC Berkeley)

**Past workshops**

2002: Berkeley
(http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/resources/affiliates/workshops/econsecurity/)
2003: Maryland (http://www.cpppe.umd.edu/rhsmith3/)
2004: Minnesota (http://www.dtc.umn.edu/weis2004/)
2005: Harvard (http://infosecon.net/workshop/index.php)
2006: Cambridge (http://weis2006.econinfosec.org/)

Alessandro Acquisti
Heinz School, Carnegie Mellon University
(P) 412 268 9853
(F) 412 268 5339
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/~acquisti

Subscribe to InfoSec News