[ISN] How to become an exceptional security manager

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 00:20:42 PDT

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/27/18OPsecadvise_1.html

By Roger A. Grimes
April 27, 2007

I recently listened to a wonderful science program on National Public
Radio discussing a book called Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
[1] along with its author, Dr. Atul Gawande. The book discusses the
reasons why some practitioners excel while others just meet the
standards or perform poorly.

Its hypothesis and conclusions can be universally applied in business
and even life. It was easy for me to draw connections to my own
experiences and relate the lessons to computer security.

Here are some of the excerpts and the corollaries I drew (I apologize to
the author in advance for any inaccuracies or misinterpretations):

The number one indicator for above-average medical care was often simply
consistency. In the story related on NPR, the author discussed how one
doctor was able to have significantly longer survival rates for his
cystic fibrosis patients (47 years) as compared to the national average
(33 years). The secret? Consistency. The doctor determined that many
patients simply were not taking the recommended medicines consistently
and timely. Once he realized this, he focused on making his patients
more consistent, especially stressing that they should continue to take
the medicine during the majority of the time when they felt well. The
outcome was significantly longer living patients.

How many of us work in computer security environments where basic
security recommendations are not applied consistently? I think it is
nearly impossible to find a company that consistently and universally
applies basic security tenets. So, we have inconsistencies, cracks in
the system, and bad things are allowed to occur. The very human nature
of purposefully allowing inconsistency as a norm leads to below-average
outcomes. Taking a personal and institutionalized interest in applying
basic security principles consistently will mitigate more risk and lead
to a more secure environment.

Another conclusion was that improving the existing system often provides
better outcomes than just adopting new technology. In the book's
example, it talked about how the U.S. Army was trying to improve the
survival rate of wounded soldiers in Iraq. Prior to the recent Middle
East conflicts (say WWII and Vietnam), wounded soldiers died 25 percent
of the time. The Army spent half a billion dollars developing new
medical aids, technologies, and treatments, but found out that improving
the basics -- and applying them consistently -- provided better
outcomes.

For example, by ensuring that soldiers always wore their body armor,
instead of removing it when it was hot, more soldiers lived. Moving the
medical tents closer to the battlefield saved more lives. By focusing on
better meeting the "golden hour" rule, they saved even more. They even
experimented with essentially going against standard medical practices
in some instances (for example, allowing field personnel more leeway to
make medical decisions and to apply treatment without waiting for
absolute test confirmation), and in doing so saved even more lives. The
result was that now only about 10 percent of our soldiers die from their
battlefield wounds even in a time of conflict where the average injury
is much more serious.

This is not to say that new medical inventions and techniques don't help
decrease the death rate; I'm sure they do. The key takeaway point is
that much of the success is due to the re-application of existing
systems.

If you're a security manager, focus more on the basics (e.g. patch
management, password policy, malware blocking) and less on the latest
and greatest new artificial-intelligence anti-malware product of the
day. Truly secure environments are consistency secure and have the
basics well covered.

Pick good metrics. "Metrics" is often a word bandied about by managers
seeking ways to report meaningful and measurable statistics to upper
management. Metrics are a good thing, but many times, the metrics chosen
take more time to collect than the value they provide. Security becomes
more about collecting the right metrics and moving the metric in the
perceived right direction than actually bettering security.

The book talks about APGAR scores [2] and how they have significantly
improved the lives of newborn babies. The APGAR score measures five
metrics of a newborn baby (what is their color, how well they are
breathing, etc.) and assigns a 0-2 point score based on the observed
result. Babies with low APGAR scores are considered critical cases, and
additional treatment modalities are brought to bear quickly. As a
five-year EMT paramedic, I can tell you that an APGAR score only takes
seconds to do and becomes second nature. It has been credited with
saving the lives of millions of babies.

Do you have good metrics? Evaluate the current list of metrics and
reports that you collect on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Does
anyone read them? If you want to find out who does, put very big, bogus
outliers in the report and see how long it takes anyone to notice. If
you can, analyze the metrics you do collect and decide which ones have
the best bang for the buck.

Becoming a better computer security worker or manager means taking a
step back and analyzing the overall system. Improved processes and more
consistent application of current rules will often pay higher dividends
than any new technology or product.

Roger A. Grimes is contributing editor of the InfoWorld Test Center.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0805082115/infoworldcom-20
and http://www.shopinfosecnews.org

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apgar_score

Subscribe to InfoSec News