[ISN] No medals for UK Government over London Olympics security

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 23:20:15 PDT

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/editorial-blogs/davey-winder/195108/no-medals-for-uk-government-over-london-olympics-security.thtml

By Davey Winder

Giving an otherwise rather dull and predictable keynote speech at
Infosecurity Europe about the IT security demands of running the London
Olympics, Derek Wyatt MP has let it slip that UK Government hands are
tied when it comes to security technology. He also made it clear that he
has no idea where the security threat will come from stating who are the
enemy? I wish I knew and dont ever underestimate the intelligence of the
opposition, whoever that is. But the biggest concern I have over the
ramblings of the Right Honourable gentleman came when he started talking
about the problems faced in identity management and authentication not
only during the event but in the run up to it, with the construction of
the venue. Wyatt sound quite upbeat about the possibility of using the
London Oyster card, used for public transport travel, which could be
upgraded fairly easily to incorporate biometric data and turned into a
mini-ID card. He also sounded quite impressed with the idea of using the
Nokia based authentication system for mobile phones. Upbeat and
impressed, and then he dropped the bombshell, which I hope will not be a
bad choice of words for the future, when he casually revealed that
because neither of these companies was a major sponsor of the Olympics
their technology could not be used.

Yes, you read that right, as far as the technology behind the security
of the London Olympic Games is concerned best of breed and suitability
for purpose do not come into it, paying a large amount of money to the
International Olympic Committee does.

So who has bought their way into being the security experts of choice,
and with whom our security and that of the visiting millions will rest?
Visa. Oh whoopy-doo, I admit to feeling much more reassured now, after
all these are the same people who do not suffer from any problems with
identity and authentication and fraud and crime on a huge scale within
their own business sector after all. Not.

And in case you are wondering why anyone should get wound up by the
ramblings of some MP you have never heard of, the fact that he was
speaking in his official capacity as Chairman of the All Party
Parliamentary Olympic Group might just grab your attention as it did
mine.

Even when questioned by a member of the British Computer Society
Security Group who was as shocked as I, and expressed total disbelief
that potentially far better technologies were to be overlooked simply
because a sponsor had to be used, Wyatt gave a half-hearted shrug of the
shoulders response along the lines of it is out of our hands.

Personally I find it beyond contempt that security decisions that will
impact upon the whole country, and the billions watching around the
world, come down to a money making opportunity for a sponsor rather than
being a Government controlled process. Wyatt readily admits it is
nothing to do with him, his committee or indeed the Government as the
deals arrangements are between the IOC and their sponsors. He also
readily admits he doesnt see why the UK should have to foot the 1billion
cost of security in that case.

But again, he misses the point. Security in this case should not be
about money, or who foots the bill, but about preventing lives from
being lost and terror winning a gold medal on the world stage.

Visa have, as of yet, to reveal what plans it has for the games..

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org