[ISN] Interview with Harlan Carvey, Author of Windows Forensic Analysis

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 23:08:16 PDT

http://www.andrewhay.ca/archives/112

By Andrew Hay
May 4, 2007

After speaking with Harlan Carvey on several online communities we both
frequent he agreed to be interviewed on Windows forensics and his new
book:

How did you get into forensics?

I started in the commercial infosec arena as a consultant doing
vulnerability assessments and pen tests. At one point, I started working
for a company, and a forensics guy needed some assistance. With
something of a security background and a clearance, as well as some
technical knowledge, I helped out and began to see the other side of the
coin. I began to see the early stages of understanding that Locards
Exchange Principle applied to the digital world just as well as the
physical world.

 From there, I had opportunities to not only talk to and ask questions
of folks performing forensic investigations, but I started performing my
own incident response, and looking for ways to do my job better. From
there, I grew into the forensics field.

[...]

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org