[ISN] Computers hacked at Hilton Head Island High

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2007 - 23:23:47 PDT

http://www.islandpacket.com/front/story/6536804p-5816824c.html

Packet Staff Report
June 1, 2007

Beaufort County School officials said Friday they’re investigating a
case of apparent computer hacking that’s resulted in altered attendance
records for at least a dozen students at Hilton Head Island High School.

Several of the students whose attendance records were altered were
summoned, along with their parents, to the high school Friday morning to
meet with principal Helen Ryan.

Ryan said the interviews with the students have led school officials to
focus on the student suspected of altering the records. Neither the name
of that student or any of those whose records were altered can be be
released because of confidentiality laws, school officials said.

“We’ve got somebody ID’d that we believe we’re going to take
disciplinary action against,” Hudson said.

In some cases the students’ attendance records — before being altered —
showed that they had too many absences to receive credit for a class,
Ryan said. In other cases, it wasn’t clear why the records were altered
because the students didn’t have excessive absences.

Ryan said more students than the 12 identified so far may have had their
attendance records altered, adding that the investigation is “ongoing.”

The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office also is involved in the
investigation, she said.

Ryan and school district spokesman Tom Hudson said the records appear to
have been altered selectively.

“It wasn’t a wholesale thing,” Hudson said. “It looks like a number of
individual records as opposed to across the board.”

It’s unclear how a hacker could have penetrated the computer network to
get access to the students’ attendance records, both Ryan and Hudson
said.

“We thought we had put in as many stop-gaps as we could,” Ryan said. She
said the records are maintained on a “statewide database — it’s not a
local system they hacked into.”

So far, the investigation indicates that the altered records belong to
juniors and seniors, Ryan said.

She said the problem could not have been the result of a random computer
glitch.

“No,” she said. “It was done intentionally.”

Attend Black Hat USA, July 28-August 2 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security
experts. Featuring 30 hands-on training courses and
90 Briefings presentations with lots of new content
and new tools. Network with 4,000 delegates from
70 nations.   Visit product displays by 30 top
sponsors in a relaxed setting. Rates increase on
June 1 so register today. http://www.blackhat.com