[ISN] Hackers hit LSE website alert service

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 22:10:51 PDT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/06/20/cnlse120.xml

By Richard Fletcher
20/06/2007

The London Stock Exchange is investigating a suspected attack on its
website by hackers that has disrupted an alerts service used by more
than 14,000 private investors.

The attackers set up hundreds of thousands of erroneous alerts,
overloading the LSE website and disrupting the service for legitimate
users.

The attack has left the service - which alerts investors when a company
in its portfolio makes a stock exchange announcement or when a share
price moves outside set parameters - paralysed for almost 48 hours.

A spokesman for the LSE said: "We hope we have now fixed the problem. We
apologise for the loss of the service."

Attend Black Hat USA, July 28-August 2 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security
experts. Featuring 30 hands-on training courses and
90 Briefings presentations with lots of new content
and new tools. Network with 4,000 delegates from
70 nations.   Visit product displays by 30 top
sponsors in a relaxed setting. Rates increase on
June 1 so register today. http://www.blackhat.com