[ISN] Threats and Vulnerabilities to India's Information Infrastructure

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 22:12:34 PDT

http://www.livemint.com/2007/06/25190216/Threats-and-Vulnerabilities-to.html

By Lt Cdr Prashant Bakshi (retd)
June 25, 2007

Whether it is satellite imagery through Google Earth, terrorist
propaganda via Jihadist websites, or communication by electronic mail
and instant messaging, exploitation of ICT infrastructure by terrorist
outfits is on the rise and risk spectrum extremely broad

New Delhi: While the Indian economy is on an upswing, growing
consistently at an average of over 9%, there are serious security
concerns that loom ahead on the horizon, challenging our extraordinary
progress. These concerns pertain not only to traditional security
threats, such as terrorism, communal or sectarian violence, crime and
militancy / insurgency but increasingly include non-traditional and
unconventional threats as well.

In addition to major terrorist attacks on our commercial and financial
centre Mumbai, which are largely perceived as efforts to undermine our
economic strength, there have been recent attacks on our scientific
institutes, such as the alleged terror attack on the Indian Institute of
Science (IIS) Bangalore in December 2006. While our prowess in science
and technology, and more specifically in Information Technology (IT),
forms the cornerstone of our economy, in reality these comprise soft
targets, which are highly vulnerable to a myriad of threats, ranging
from physical acts of terrorism to electronic attacks on information
assets.

The IT industry has recorded phenomenal growth in the last five years,
especially software services, Information Technology Enabled Services
(ITES) and the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) sector. While
capitalizing on Indias geographic location (suitable time zone) and
massive pool of skilled English speaking manpower, companies have struck
innovative business outsourcing models to garner maximum profits. Robust
ICT infrastructure

However, all this has been possible only in the backdrop of a robust
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure. In the
last decade or so, the government, public sector and private companies
have seen tremendous opportunity in the sector and have accordingly
invested large capital in building up suitable information
infrastructure. This includes submarine undersea cables, satellite
transponders or receivers, and massive on-ground, telecom and Internet
connectivity.

As businesses grew, there were immense demands to expand the
infrastructure, which were adequately met from time-to-time. However, we
have become increasingly dependent on this infrastructure, and as a
result, our vulnerabilities have also risen manifold. Today, we are
highly vulnerable to any disruption, even if it is of a short-term
nature, infrastructure and IT development notwithstanding.

The risk spectrum is extremely broad, ranging from non-state actors
waging cyber-attacks, adversaries carrying out information warfare (IW)
and deviant individuals wreaking havoc on the information superhighway
with deadly electronic viruses and worms. It is not in the scope of this
article to delve into the technicalities or details of these, however it
is pertinent to note that the United States (US) which is the most wired
nation in the world and thus most susceptible to IW has not experienced
any major IW attack on its infrastructure.

Attend Black Hat USA, July 28-August 2 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security
experts. Featuring 30 hands-on training courses and
90 Briefings presentations with lots of new content
and new tools. Network with 4,000 delegates from
70 nations.   Visit product displays by 30 top
sponsors in a relaxed setting. Rates increase on
June 1 so register today. http://www.blackhat.com