[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - July 13th 2007

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 02:14:24 PDT

|  LinuxSecurity.com                               Weekly Newsletter  |
|  July 13th 2007                                Volume 8, Number 28a |

  Editors:      Dave Wreski                     Benjamin D. Thomas
                dave@private          ben@private

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week. It
includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week advisories were released for gfax, php, vlc, webmin, xnview,
apache, mplayer, open office, wireshark, xorg-x11, perl, flash-plugin,
and ImageMagick.  The distributors include Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva,
and Ubuntu.

---

>> Accelerate your career with a Master in
>> Information Assurance from Norwich!

The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study offers you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you
can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home
life.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/ads/adclick.php?log=no&bannerid=12

---

* EnGarde Secure Linux v3.0.13 Now Available

Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
Community 3.0.13 (Version 3.0, Release 13). This release includes several
bug fixes and feature enhancements to the SELinux policy and several
updated packages.

http://wiki.engardelinux.org/index.php/ReleaseNotes3.0.13

---

Review: Practical Packet Analysis

In the introduction, McIlwraith points out that security awareness
training properly consists of communication, raising of issues, and
encouragement to modify behaviour. (This will come as no surprise
to those who recall the definition of training as the modification
of attitudes and behaviour.) He also notes that security professionals
frequently concentrate solely on presentation of problems. The
remainder of the introduction looks at other major security
activities, and the part that awareness plays in ensuring that
they actually work.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128459/171/

---

Robert Slade Review: "Information Security and Employee Behaviour"

The best way to secure you against sniffing is to use encryption. While
this won't prevent a sniffer from functioning, it will ensure that what a
sniffer reads is pure junk.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128404/171/

--------

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

* Debian: New gfax packages fix privilege escalation
  5th, July, 2007

Steve Kemp from the Debian Security Audit project discovered that
gfax, a GHOME frontend for fax programs, uses temporary files in an
unsafe manner which may be exploited to execute arbitary commands
with the privileges of the root user.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128725

* Debian: New php5 packages fix arbitrary code execution
  7th, July, 2007

Several remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in PHP, a
server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language, which may lead to the
execution of arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project identifies the following problems:

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128730

* Debian: New php4 packages fix arbitrary code execution
  7th, July, 2007

Several remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in PHP, a
server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language, which may lead to the
execution of arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
project identifies the following problems:

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128731

* Debian: New vlc packages fix arbitrary code execution
  9th, July, 2007

Several remote vulnerabilities have been discovered in the VideoLan
multimedia player and streamer, which may lead to the execution of
arbitrary code. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
identified these flaws.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128739

+---------------------------------+

* Gentoo: Webmin, Usermin Cross-site scripting vulnerabilities
  5th, July, 2007

Webmin and Usermin are vulnerable to cross-site scripting
vulnerabilities (XSS). An unauthenticated attacker could entice a
user to browse a specially crafted URL, allowing for the execution of
script code in the context of the user's browser and for the theft of
browser credentials. This may permit the attacker to login to Webmin
or Usermin with the user's permissions.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128726

* Gentoo: XnView Stack-based buffer overflow
  11th, July, 2007

XnView is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow and possible
remote code execution when handling XPM image files.An attacker could
entice a user to view a specially crafted XPM file with XnView that
could trigger the vulnerability and possibly execute arbitrary code
with the rights of the user running XnView.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128763

+---------------------------------+

* Mandriva: Updated apache packages fix multiple security
  5th, July, 2007

 A vulnerability was discovered in the the Apache mod_status module
that could lead to a cross-site scripting attack on sites where the
server-status page was publically accessible and ExtendedStatus was
enabled.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128720

* Mandriva: Updated apache packages fix multiple security
  5th, July, 2007

A vulnerability was discovered in the the Apache mod_status module
that could lead to a cross-site scripting attack on sites where the
server-status page was publically accessible and ExtendedStatus was
enabled (CVE-2006-5752).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128721

* Mandriva: Updated mplayer packages fix buffer overflow
  10th, July, 2007

Multiple stack-based buffer overflows in stream/stream_cddb.c in MPlayer
before 1.0rc1try3 allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a
CDDB entry with a long (1) album title or (2) category. Updated packages
have been patched to prevent this issue.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128752

* Mandriva: Updated OpenOffice.org packages fix RTF import
  10th, July, 2007

A heap overflow flaw was found in the RTF import filter of
OpenOffice.org.  If a victim were to open a specially-crafted RTF
file, OpenOffice.org could crash or possibly execute arbitrary code.
Updated packages have been patched to prevent the above issues.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128755

* Mandriva: Updated wireshark packages fix multiple
  11th, July, 2007

A number of vulnerabilities in the Wireshark program were found that
could cause crashes, excessive looping, or exhaustion of system
memory. This updated provides wireshark 0.99.6 which is not vulnerable
to these issues.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128756

+---------------------------------+

* RedHat: Moderate: xorg-x11 security update
  12th, July, 2007

Updated X.org packages that correct a flaw in the way the X.Org X11
xfs font server starts are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
The init.d xfs script chown has race condition vulnerability.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the
Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128765

* RedHat: Moderate: kernel security and bug fix update
  10th, July, 2007

Updated kernel packages that fix a security issue and a bug in the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 kernel are now available. A flaw in the signal
handling on PowerPC-based systems that allowed a local user to cause
a denial of service. This update has been rated as having moderate
security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128745

* RedHat: Moderate: xorg-x11-xfs security update
  12th, July, 2007

Updated X.org packages that address a flaw in the way the X.Org X11
xfs font server starts are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5.A temporary file flaw was found in the way the X.Org X11 xfs font
server startup script executes. A local user could modify the permissions
of a file of their choosing, possibly elevating their local privileges.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the
Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128766

* RedHat: Moderate: perl-Net-DNS security update
  12th, July, 2007

Updated perl-Net-DNS packages that correct two security issues are
now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 5.A denial of service
flaw was found in the way Net::DNS parsed certain DNS requests. A
malformed response to a DNS request could cause the application using
Net::DNS to crash or stop responding. This update has been rated as
having moderate security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128767

* RedHat: Moderate: perl-Net-DNS security update
  12th, July, 2007

An updated perl-Net-DNS package that corrects a security issue is now

available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.A flaw was found in the way
Net::DNS generated the ID field in a DNS query. This predictable ID
field could be used by a remote attacker to return invalid DNS data.
This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the
Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128768

* RedHat: Critical: flash-plugin security update
  12th, July, 2007

An updated Adobe Flash Player package that fixes a security issue is
now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Extras, 4 Extras, and 5
Supplementary. An input validation flaw was found in the way Flash
Player displayed certain content. It may be possible to execute
arbitrary code on a victim's machine if the victim opens a malicious
Adobe Flash file This update has been rated as having critical
security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128769

+---------------------------------+

* Ubuntu:  ImageMagick vulnerabilities
  10th, July, 2007

Multiple vulnerabilities were found in ImageMagick's handling of DCM
and WXD image files.  By tricking a user into processing a specially
crafted image with an application that uses imagemagick, an attacker
could execute arbitrary code with the user's privileges.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128748

* Ubuntu:  OpenOffice.org vulnerability
  11th, July, 2007

John Heasman discovered that OpenOffice did not correctly validate
the sizes of tags in RTF documents.  If a user were tricked into opening
a specially crafted document, a remote attacker could execute arbitrary
code with user privileges.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/128757