[ISN] Alert for Visa card security

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 02:15:02 PDT

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22066995-5007221,00.html

By DAVID KILLICK
July 13, 2007

HUNDREDS of Tasmanian Visa card holders have been told to cut up their
cards after a security breach in Sweden.

Computer tapes containing card holders' details nationwide were among
items in a car stolen from a Swedish data processing company in May.

Many Australian financial institutions are affected, but only some are
notifying customers.

Islandstate Credit Union has written to card holders this week warning
them to cancel cards and to report unauthorised transactions.

"Your islandstate Visa card details may have been compromised on or
after May 25, 2007, due to a possible data breach in Sweden," it says.
"As a precaution your Visa card needs to be cancelled and a new card
issued."

Islandstate credit union spokeswoman Marsha Cadman said fewer than 5 per
cent of the credit union's 80,000 customers were affected.

No instances of fraud had been reported and the credit union was taking
a precautionary approach, she said.

"This is not an issue our members should be concerned with. It impacted
only a small number of members.

"Some other financial institutions on the mainland haven't cancelled
cards, they've just let it go, some of them cancel them immediately.

"We prefer to take the middle ground and say check the card, make sure
there's no transactions, and we encourage you to come in and cancel."

Abacus Australian Mutuals manager for financial crimes Leanne Vale said
there had been no reports the stolen data had been used in crimes.

"It's a low risk event," she said. "Our credit unions are very prudent
and they will always err on the side of caution and will reissue cards
and contact card holders and maintain a high level of interaction with
their customers. Other financial institutions may not choose to do
that."

Australian Bankers' Association chief executive David Bell said banks
were aware of the breach and were monitoring customers' accounts.

Visa International spokeswoman Pauline Hayes said card holders were
protected against any unauthorised purchases by a zero-liability fraud
protection policy.

5B
Attend Black Hat USA, July 28-August 2 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security
experts. Featuring 30 hands-on training courses and
90 Briefings presentations with lots of new content
and new tools. Network with 4,000 delegates from
70 nations.   Visit product displays by 30 top
sponsors in a relaxed setting. Rates increase on
June 1 so register today. http://www.blackhat.com