[ISN] Hackers protest US, Israeli actions on UN website

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 00:13:49 PDT

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Hackers-protest-US-Israeli-actions-on-UN-website/2007/08/13/1186857372615.html

August 13, 2007

The official website of the United Nations appeared to have been hacked
on Sunday and briefly displayed a message protesting US and Israeli
policies in the Middle East.

The section of the site reserved to statements by UN Secretary General
Ban Ki-moon showed a message, repeated several times, that read: "Hacked
By kerem125 M0sted and Gsy That is CyberProtest Hey Ysrail and Usa dont
kill children and other people Peace for ever No war."

The message also appeared on other web pages that usually display quotes
and speeches from the secretary general.

The pirate message disappeared from the UN website, www.un.org, at about
9:15 am (1315 GMT).

"We are very concerned that this happened and we are investigating,"
said UN spokesman Alex Cerniglia.

"We will make security changes to prevent this from happening again," he
said.

Previous attacks attributed to the hackers found on other websites
suggested that at least one of them was Turkish.

Citing the hacker names that appeared on the UN site, the www.m0sted.org
website says CyberProtest's objective is to say "that the powerful have
no right to oppress the powerless."

The move, it says, was launched by Eno7 and the Byond Crew Hack Team and
is now continued by three hackers -- kerem125, m0sted and Gsy.

"I hope we will be successful as well," it says.

The website lists a number of institutions whose websites the trio has
also allegedly hacked, including Harvard University, the UN Environment
Programme and industrial giants Toyota and Nestle.

The kerem125.com website is not accessible at the moment.

Eno 7, who describes himself/herself as an IT security expert, says on
his/her website that CyberProtest was launched after the Israeli
offensive against Lebanon last year.

"The chief architects of this protest are myself, Eno 7 from Turkey, and
the byond hackers team from Chile ... We expanded our efforts as nine
other countries joined us afterwards," it says.

The group decided to target important institutions rather than random
websites "because our objective was not to disrupt the sites and leave
stupid messages ... but only to give a message against war," it says.

The website gives a long list of institutions whose Internet sites were
allegedly hacked with an anti-war message, among them giants such as
Yahoo Korea, MSN Italy, Coca Cola, Sony, Renault and Toyota as well as
several US and Israeli universities.

© 2006 AFP

Attend HITBSecConf2007 - Malaysia
Taking place September 3-6 2007 featuring seven tracks of technical
training and a dual-track security conference with keynote speakers
Lance Spitzner and Mikko Hypponen!  -  Book your seats today!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2007kl/