[ISN] Malaysia Can Counter Cyber Threats, Says Dompok

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 01:03:48 PDT

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=279652

August 16, 2007

KOTA KINABALU, Aug 16 (Bernama) -- Malaysia possesses the means to
counter cyber threats to its assets, documents and official information,
Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Bernard Dompok said
Thursday.

"We have the capability. The government has taken into account the
security aspect in its administrative structure and system and this
includes the formation of the National Security Department with branches
all over the country," he said.

"We have experts who can ensure security," he told reporters after
opening the state-level Security Protection Convention organised by the
Prime Minister's Department here today.

Earlier in his speech, he said threats from cyber "terrorism" were a
result of technological development which focused on "convergence
technology" resulting in "quantum technology".

In view of this, Malaysia should adjust its cyber defence strategy
accordingly to ensure the country could overcome the threats.

Dompok said stern action must also be taken against any form of security
breach.

"We must also identify the sources of danger to government assets and
official secrets."

He said training to increase safety awareness among government officials
should be stepped up to make protection of national assets and official
secrets a culture.

-- BERNAMA

Attend HITBSecConf2007 - Malaysia
Taking place September 3-6 2007 featuring seven tracks of technical
training and a dual-track security conference with keynote speakers
Lance Spitzner and Mikko Hypponen!  -  Book your seats today!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2007kl/