[ISN] Clever Officer Receives Award

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 23:59:44 PDT

http://www.courant.com/news/local/nb/hc-nebwardwell0922.artsep22,0,510773.story

By Arielle Levin Becker
Courant Staff Writer
September 22, 2007

NEW BRITAIN - The New Britain police department's computer crime expert
was stumped. The state police's lab couldn't help. Even the FBI didn't
have the answer.

But Lt. James Wardwell kept searching, trying to find some way to
infiltrate a stack of erased rewritable CDs he just knew once contained
evidence.

And eventually, thanks to a network of computer investigators, a Google
search and some college kids blogging about how to restore their lost
mp3s, Wardwell found a way to recover the data and developed a new
technique in the process.

The evidence Wardwell recovered helped secure the conviction of a city
man who filmed himself sexually abusing children, crimes a prosecutor
said were the most extreme and diabolical he ever handled.

Last month, Wardwell's work earned him the Case of the Year award from
the international High Technology Crime Investigation Association, an
honor that he said recognized a willingness to ask for help. "I could
not have ever even come close to doing this if I hadn't reached out to
everybody else," he said.

The plaque hangs on the wall behind Wardwell's desk, but he might prefer
if it weren't there. It's bittersweet to receive an honor for working on
a case in which children were brutalized, he said. "If I could redo
history, my preference would be that the whole thing never happened," he
said.

It began with evidence seized from city resident John Kaminski. Police
had some incriminating evidence, but they believed there was more on a
stack of rewritable CDs. Problem was, the CDs had been erased.

None of Wardwell's data recovery techniques helped. He spent a day at
the state police lab and consulted the FBI, but to no avail. He reached
out to other computer crime investigators, but no suggestion worked.

But the problem stuck with one of them - Special Agent Jim Butler of the
FBI's New Haven division's computer analysis response team. A Google
search led him to a website that college students used to discuss ways
to recover deleted mp3s.

The students' method wouldn't solve the problem, but it led Wardwell to
create a similar technique. The key would be tricking a computer into
reading the CDs, which appeared empty, by burning a small portion of
another file onto them.

The work broke a cardinal rule of computer forensics: Don't change the
original evidence. Unlike working with blood or drugs, where testing
destroys a bit of the evidence, investigators in computer forensics are
trained to change nothing - they make copies instead. But the computer
couldn't read Kaminski's CDs, making them impossible to copy. "In this
case, it was either break that taboo or not get anything," said Butler,
now the president of the Connecticut chapter of the High Technology
Crime Investigation Association.

Wardwell spent at least two weeks practicing the technique with other
CDs. When he was convinced it worked safely, he created an empty file
and began burning it onto one of Kaminski's CDs, stopping as soon as the
first part of the file was burned. That allowed the computer to read the
CD without destroying what was on it before. From there, he could
recover the data using standard software.

It was early in the morning when Wardwell first saw the videos on the
CD. "There was a feeling of triumph, saying `Yes, I got it,'" he said.

"But then, starting to see the contents of the data, it was horrible. I
had to walk away."

He left it for the day.

Wardwell is no stranger to horrific images and brutal cases. Computer
crime cases aren't all about Internet predators or child pornography,
but they're a portion of the workload that Wardwell said he will never
get used to. "You just have to know when to walk away," he said.

The Kaminski case stands out because it was so brutal, he said.

Kaminski was accused of sexually abusing three siblings, aged 9, 8 and
6, after drugging them with sedatives and filming the assaults.

He pleaded no contest to six counts of first-degree sexual assault last
year, at age 51, and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

At Kaminski's sentencing, prosecutor Paul Rotiroti said, "Of all the
sexual assaults I've ever handled, this is the most diabolical, the most
extreme and the one that most exemplifies pure evil."

Kaminski has since filed a federal lawsuit challenging the search that
led police to the evidence. A Superior Court judge previously ruled that
the search was legal.

Copyright © 2007, The Hartford Courant

CSI 2007 is the only conference that delivers a business-focused
overview of enterprise security. It will convene 1,500+ delegates,
80 exhibitors and features 100+ sessions/seminars providing a
roadmap for integrating policies and procedures with new tools
and techniques.  Register now for savings on conference fees
and/or free exhibits admission. - www.csiannual.com