[ISN] Norcross man pleads guilty to shutting off 911 system

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 23:04:45 PDT

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2007/09/26/computer_0927.html

By Rhonda Cook
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
09/26/07

A Norcross man pleaded guilty Wednesday to tampering with a
telecommunications system operated by Cox Communications and shutting
off access to 911 emergency service for customers who depend on regional
data centers in Dallas, Las Vegas, New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La.,
according to federal documents.

William Bryant, 38, admitted he remotely shut down portions of the Cox
Communications computer and telecommunications system May 6 after he was
asked to resign. For almost two hours, some Cox customers could not make
emergency telephone calls, according to information provided in court.

Cox Communications and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution are both owned
by Cox Enterprises.

"It's unfortunate that this happened, but it is a testament to our
acumen as a telecom provider and [Internet service provider] that our
security and engineering teams were able to resolve this quickly before
any negative impact to our customers," Cox Communications spokesman
David Graybert said. "As always in cases such as this, we cooperate
fully with authorities."

Bryant will be sentenced Dec. 13. He could be fined up to $250,000 and
sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.

CSI 2007 is the only conference that delivers a business-focused
overview of enterprise security. It will convene 1,500+ delegates,
80 exhibitors and features 100+ sessions/seminars providing a
roadmap for integrating policies and procedures with new tools
and techniques.  Register now for savings on conference fees
and/or free exhibits admission. - www.csiannual.com