[ISN] IT security group honors three feds

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 23:15:50 PDT

http://www.fcw.com/online/news/150369-1.html

By Wade-Hahn Chan
October 4, 2007

Three federal officials were recognized for their contributions to
government information technology security by (ISC)2 at its fourth
annual Government Information Security Leadership Awards given Oct. 3.

There were three categories of awards: senior IT security manager,
senior non-IT security manager and nonmanagerial IT security
professional.

Weve recognized and celebrated those leaders in the IT security
community who have made a very positive impact not only on our business
and professional success, but also on our safety and our national
security, said Lynn McNulty, government affairs director at (ISC)2.

The winner of the senior IT security manager award was George Bieber,
deputy director of the Defense Departments Information Assurance
Workforce Improvement Program. Bieber was recognized for leading efforts
for information assurance training and certification.

Without the people behind me in DOD, none of this could happen, he said.

The senior non-it security manager award went to John Jack Stoute,
acting chief information officer and director of business technology
optimization at the Health and Human Services Departments Program
Support Center.

Dana Gordon Murray, chief information security officer at HHS, said
Stoute improved the skills and competency of the IT workforce at the
agency.

Im speaking to the choir. I dont usually speak to the choir, Stoute
said. But its important for us who dont usually speak to the choir to
continue [the message that] IT security will only continue to get more
important.

Cheri Gatland-Lightner, project manager at the Centers for Disease
Control and Preventions Chief Information Security Office, won the award
for nonmanagerial IT security professional. Gatland-Lighter's colleagues
praised her ability to emphasize to agency workers the need for IT
security and to lead agency efforts to improve Federal Information
Security Management Act scores.

CSI 2007 is the only conference that delivers a business-focused
overview of enterprise security. It will convene 1,500+ delegates,
80 exhibitors and features 100+ sessions/seminars providing a
roadmap for integrating policies and procedures with new tools
and techniques.  Register now for savings on conference fees
and/or free exhibits admission. - www.csiannual.com